PaulLee Wanna Cracker?

The Storm is Here

March 29th, 2013 · No Comments

Every year, UBC holds one of the campus’ largest intermural events called Storm the Wall. And trust me, if you are (or will be) a UBC student you WILL hear about Storm. For those of you who don’t know, Storm is a huge race that consists of a swimming portion, sprinting portion, cycling portion, running portion and finishes off with trying to get your/your team up a 12ft wall!

Pretty much The Flash

You can participate as an individual (as in, if you’re some secret X-men or demi-god who’s actually capable of doing all that), as a competitive team or as a just for fun team with each member of the team doing a leg of the race. Storm is listed as one of the must-do things before you graduate from UBC and I highly recommend trying it out.

I had the fortune of being asked very last minute to join a Totem Park Storm team as a substitute sprinter. And by last minute I mean like an hour and a half before their race! Unfortunately we had to be disqualified because of the substitution but we were still allowed to participate for fun and trust me, it was absolutely incredible! My race was in the middle of the day so there were a lot of people sitting in the sun and watching, and I even had a couple of friends cheer me on. The highlight was of course attempting to climb the HUGE wall! There were a lot of rules to climbing the wall to make sure no one gets hurt but my team had an excellent (and secret) strategy that got us over in a heartbeat. After we finished we were told that we finished in second place with a time of a little over sixteen minutes! And even better, the team I was on told me that they finished 2 minutes ahead of their last record!

Storm the Wall was one of the highlights of my first year experience at UBC. Going from studying for math to being asked to participate and actually doing well was quite the experience and I’ll definitely be doing it again next year!

The infamous wall

Tags: Events · Excitement · Health

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.