PaulLee Wanna Cracker?

Big news

April 10th, 2013 · 2 Comments

So as I alluded in my last post, I have some big things planned for my second year at UBC. Starting in mid-December, applications for becoming an RA opened up. For those of you who don’t know, an RA (or Resident Advisor) is an upper-year student who would be living in either Totem Park or Place Vanier along with first-years and pretty much making sure everyone is enjoying their first-year experience. They’re in charge of events, clubs and on smaller scale making sure the residents on their floor/in their house are having a good time/not burning the place down.

Initially when I heard about the application I was hesitant to apply. I mean, there would be a TON of other people applying, and what are the chances of a first-year getting the position when there are probably tons of other, more qualified, older-year students applying. Anyways, a week before the January 16th deadline I decided to go for it and apply anyways (or as the kids would say, I did the YOLO.)

Much to my surprise I was contacted by email letting me know that I made it to the next round of interviews: the carousel interviews! By this stage, a lot of people I knew who applied didn’t make it to the interview stage and I knew things were getting down to the nitty-gritty (side note: if I ever use the phrase nitty-gritty again please give me a good slap in the face. I am NOT my 70 year old grandmother.) The email I received said that only 60% of applicants made it to the carousel interviews and that it would be a group interview process with various stations. (I’m not allowed to say too much about the carousel interviews, looks like you’ll have to find out about it on your own guys!) I was UNBELIEVABLY nervous for the carousel interviews. It was the final stage before you either got the phone call letting you know you got the position or an email letting you know that you were unfortunately not chosen to be an RA. I talked to a couple of RAs in my house and felt adequately prepared for what to expect, but I couldn’t get over the fact that this was the make-it or break-it stage of the hiring process; either I did well and I’m in or I messed up and I’m out.

Anyways, after my interview on Jan. 30th I had to wait it out until Feb. 28th to be notified of the results. And let me tell you, waiting an entire month to hear back is NOT A GOOD TIME. It was all I could think of and I barely got any sleep on the 27th.

So if you couldn’t have guessed by now, I didn’t write this loooooong post to tell you guys I didn’t get the position! I received a phone call around 11am on the 28th and was asked if I’d like to join the Place Vanier staff (side note: you don’t get to choose where you get hired, but Vanier was definitely my first choice!) I was BEYOND excited (as my friends who were with me could attest to) and told them I’d love to be a part of the Vanier RA staff.

Anyways, short version of this story: I applied for a position I was skeptical I would get, something about perserverance and believing in yourself yada yada yada, I got a bunch of warm fuzzies and now I’m employed for next year! (Did I tell you that you get payed to be an RA?! Your salary pays for your rooming and a basic meal plan for the year!)

As of this post, I don’t know which house I’ll be in for next year, but I’m excited to be working with a bunch of interesting and enthusiastic people. Who knows, maybe I’ll see some of you first-years in Vanier next September!

Tags: Events · Excitement · Res Life

2 responses so far ↓