PaulLee Wanna Cracker?

I swear I’m still alive

July 9th, 2013 · 2 Comments

Around this time a year ago I was an eager, newly admitted student at UBC. I was excited to leave the prairies and move out to the beautiful west coast and was trying to get as much information as I could on courses, profs, events, rez life etc. And one of the best sources for all that information was right here with the UBC Blog Squad! Reading about all the real-life first year experiences from previous students really helped me out in trying to figure out what life was going to be like once I arrived at UBC.

So in the spirit of giving back, I’ll (try to) regularly post about specific things I was curious about before leaving home. And if there’s anything you lovely readers want to know, leave me a comment down below and I’ll try to get back to you or even make a post about it!

Also, it would super awesome if you applied to join the Blog Squad for the upcoming year. We’re looking for students new to UBC (first years or transfer students) to share their unique Thunderbird perspectives. It looks great on a resume (I was asked about it at my last interview), you’ll meet a fantastic group of people (many of whom you’ll become great friends with) and it’s a great way to get involved in the place that’ll be your home for the upcoming school year.

If you’re interested, click the link right down below and apply. Applications end July 21st so get blogging!

http://blogs.ubc.ca/blogsquad/join/

Tags: Excitement · Extra Curriculars

2 responses so far ↓

• Elizabeth // Jul 12th 2013 at 2:40 PM

Hi, I was wondering if you know how selective Blog Squad is. I applied a little while ago, and it’s something I really want to do, but I’m a little worried about my chances. Do you know if a lot of people apply to Blog Squad? They can only have a certain amount of new blogs each year after all.

• paulleex // Jul 12th 2013 at 2:59 PM

Hey Elizabeth!

Unfortunately I’m not directly involved in the selection process of the Blog Squad so I can’t give you a good answer about that. I do know that this year we went pretty big on the advertising to get people to join compared to last year. What I can tell you is that in my year there were about 18 first-year bloggers and we were all very passionate about Blog Squad. If you let that passion show in your application then I’m sure you’ll be fine. I’ll have my fingers crossed for you!

Paul