PaulLee Wanna Cracker?

Whachu know ’bout First Year?

July 18th, 2013 · 2 Comments

Inspired by Thea’s post and Samantha’s post, here are some things I learned in my first year at UBC…

• Trust me, making friends is waaaaaay easier than you expect. Everyone is just as eager to talk about where they’re from and what faculty they’re in. Don’t be shy and go introduce yourself!
  • You’ll meet TONS of people in your first week at UBC. And you’ll probably never speak to half of them again. And that’s okay.
  • FOOLPROOF, 100% MONEY BACK GUARENTEE way to make friends on rez? Share your alcohol.
  • It may be awkward to have to ask for someone’s name again, but it’s even more awkward to still not know it half way through the year. Some personal experience on this one.
  • You’ll order way too much Dominos during your time here.
  • It never hurts to be THAT person with a lighter or bottle opener
  • As much as it may suck, it’ll benefit you in the long run to lock yourself in your room on a Friday night and catch up on your work
  • You’re not paying all that money just to walk back and forth from rez/the bus loop to your classes. Take some time to really explore the campus. Watch the sunset from Wreck beach. Explore a building you’ve never had a class in.
  • Coming from a Grade A procrastinator, it actually helps a ton to do the readings (I know right? Shocker). It’s entirely possible to do them right before the midterm and still do well, but it ain’t gonna be easy.
  • A pro tip to making friends in class: go up to someone and ask them if the seat beside them is open. Even if you know it is, ask. It’s a super simple icebreaker to use and followed by a quick introduction, can get the conversation rolling in no time.
  • Unlike high school, chances are you’re not the smartest person there. And no one expects you to be. Try hard but don’t beat yourself up (If you are, then ignore this bullet point. Actually, if you are, can we be friends?)
  • Expect a drop in grades. Those high 90s won’t last you forever bud.  It will hurt the ego to come out of high school with a 98 in Chemistry and receive a 70 on your first midterm.
  • And finally, if you’re lucky, the memories you make during your first year will change your life.

So tell me, what are you most excited for in your upcoming year at UBC?

Tags: Academics · Events · Excitement · Res Life

2 responses so far ↓

• Courtney // Jul 18th 2013 at 10:57 PM

PAUL THERE ARE UNDERAGE FIRST YEARS ON THIS SITE I DON’T THINK WE SHOULD BE MENTIONING ALCOHOL WE WOULDN’T WANT THEM TO GET THE WRONG IDEA WOULD WE
    Anyways good post 😀

• paulleex // Jul 18th 2013 at 11:19 PM

Just serving up some first year realness 😉

Drinking was a pretty prevalent part of rez life (at least, in my experience) that I think incoming students should be aware of it