Portfolio Director, Warren Wilson College
Warren Wilson College, a national liberal arts college with integrated work and service programs, seeks a faculty director for our emergent ePortfolio program. This is a faculty position reporting through the office of Academic Affairs with full College benefits and offered on an annual, renewable contract. For candidates with the appropriate qualifications and discipline there is a potential for an extended contract (our faculty are unranked and are not part of a tenure system).
Warren Wilson College is a tier one nationally ranked, independent liberal arts college located on a 1,135-acre campus in the Blue Ridge Mountains near Asheville, North Carolina, with a unique program of rigorous liberal arts academics, challenging work experience, and deliberate community engagement through service learning.
We are building a four-year portfolio to collect learning throughout the educational program of academics, work, and service we call the ?Triad.? With structured reflection to facilitate the integration of the learning students achieve in their courses, on their work crews, and in their community engagement, this ePortfolio will ask students to intentionally connect the unique components of the Warren Wilson Triad Education as well as to shape a comprehensive sense of self upon graduation. A recently-adopted general education curriculum supports a portfolio structure with a set of scaffolded courses from first-year seminar through capstone; our service program adopted a staged Community Engagement Commitment (PEGS); and our work program is currently investigating a developmental model for work-learning. Students write an inaugural First-Year Letter reflecting on their Triad experiences in their arrival semester and apply for graduation with a public Senior Letter. We have the
and the framework to build a meaningful portfolio. We need the leadership and expertise to make it happen.
We seek a dynamic leader and resilient systems-thinker able to advocate and execute our Triad learning ePortfolio program. We welcome applicants with diverse educational backgrounds and skill sets to lead development, implementation, and support of this multi-faceted initiative.
- Advanced degree in relevant field
- Higher education experience in related area (e.g., teaching, faculty development, service-learning, student development, assessment)
- Demonstrated facility with educational technology
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching or project leadership
- Demonstrated ability to work in collaboration with diverse stakeholders
- Experience with ePortfolio theory and practice
- Terminal degree in relevant field
- Record of related research and publication
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate their accomplishments in ways that show them able to lead our campus in the following activities (both start-up and ongoing):
- Share ePortfolio theory and build a model that defines a relationship to learning, teaching, and assessment
- Solicit community input about content and form of the portfolio
- Research and evaluate technologies and oversee trials with different stakeholders
- Establish implementation timeline
- Promote and educate the campus community about theory, models, and use of the portfolio
- Create network for training across the community (possibly including a student work crew)
- Organize and facilitate an ePortfolio Committee composed of representatives from across the Triad to gather feedback, aid in implementation, and set ongoing goals
- Design and support new projects and incentives to connect ePortfolio with the Triad and student life
- Continually assess the ePortfolio and share findings with the campus
- Pursue ePortfolio or related professional research, and undertake service to the life of the College
- Optionally, teach undergraduate courses, depending on area of specialty and needs of the College
Warren Wilson College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
Please send cover letter, CV, and contact information for three professional references by email to email@example.com. Submitted documents must be titled as follows: LastNameFirstInitial-Item (for example, DoeJ-cv, DoeJ-cover). Electronic submissions are required. Review of applications will begin November 15, 2013 and continue until the position is filled.