A stage for undergraduate student research

By Derek Zhang

The UBC Undergraduate Journal of Psychology (UBCUJP) is an annual, student-run, peer-reviewed journal. Our primary goal is to provide a platform for psychology undergraduate students to showcase their research. Papers published in UBCUJP include both research theses and literature reviews. We believe that UBCUJP offers an invaluable opportunity for undergraduates to experience the peer-review process and also an excellent resource for faculty and students to learn about the research happening in the department.

In addition to serving as a stage for students to present their research-related works, UBCUJP  emphasizes leadership and professional development for everyone interested in pursuing studies within psychology. This year I’ve been leading a journal team consisting of 8 Section & Associate Editors, over 20 Reviewers and 5 Executive Assistants. From organizing on-campus awareness initiatives to leading in-class announcements, the leadership has brought the journal from within the purely research-focused realm to a greater world beyond.

UBCUJP was founded in the 2011-2012 academic year with 10 papers included in its very first volume dated back to April 2012. A year later, the second volume of UBCUJP was released with another cohort of 11 pieces of writing. I invite you to explore these two journal issues by following this link: http://ubcujp.psych.ubc.ca/index.php/issues.

In the current 2013-2014 academic year, UBCUJP attracted 15 submissions from our fellow undergraduates on campus. Their research papers and literature reviews represent a wide array of specializations within psychology across various labs and research foci within our department. The latest submission cycle for this year’s UBCUJP has recently come to a close and review and editorial works are presently underway. I can’t wait for the third volume of UBCUJP to come out later this summer!

Meanwhile, I encourage each and every one of you who shares our vision and passion to enter the competition for UBCUJP’s Editor-in-Chief position in the next year to come (i.e., 2014-2015). As an Editor-in-Chief you will draw the big picture for the journal and shape its future. You will recruit and lead a team to accomplish the journal’s primary objective and by doing so, build strong leadership skills for yourself and also for all members on the journal team. To find out more about this position and other available opportunities, please visit: http://ubcujp.psych.ubc.ca/index.php/news-and-events/100-journal-team-position-openings-2013-2014.

I hereby present my most sincere appreciation toward all the undergraduate researchers for their hard work, toward their graduate and faculty supervisors for their indispensable support, toward the journal’s two faculty advisors—Drs. Michael Souza and Sunaina Assanand—for their guidance along the journey, and most importantly, towards our amazing Department of Psychology for its devoted efforts without which UBCUJP wouldn’t embrace its possibility to have become a reality and legacy at the university.

If you have any questions about UBCUJP please feel free to contact me via ubcujp@psych.ubc.ca. On behalf of the entire journal crew, I wish you a joyful and fruitful summer.

Derek Zhenxinyu Zhang
Editor-in-Chief, 2013-2014
UBC Undergraduate Journal of Psychology

About the author:

Derek graduated from UBC Psychology with a BA Honours degree in May 2013. He is currently a research assistant at the Centre for Health Evaluation & Outcome Sciences at St. Paul’s Hospital. Following his graduation, Derek has maintained a strong connection with the UBC community through his various volunteer roles and efforts dedicated to enhanced student learning and professional development.