About me

image3I grew up in Edmonton and studied at the University of Alberta (BA, MA), Université de Dijon (Diplôme Supérieur d’Études Françaises), Dalhousie (PhD), and UBC (Faculty Certificate on Teaching and Learning in Higher Education). Before joining UBC in 1996, I taught at Dalhousie, Saint Mary’s University, Mount Saint Vincent University, and Okanagan University College.  I am  currently an Instructor in the English Department .

Like most academics in UBC’s educational leadership stream, my working life is divided between teaching, research, educational leadership, and service. I did my graduate work on the eighteenth-century novel and later conducted research on literary representations of disease in the eighteenth century before turning my attention to children’s and young-adult literature.  I teach senior courses on Children’s Literature (ENGL 468A) as well as the second-year historical survey (ENGL 220 and ENGL 221) and first-year writing and literature (ENGL 100 and ENGL 112) . My research focuses on children’s and young adult fiction, and I’m especially interested in how modern adaptations of fairy-tale form address posthuman challenges to liberal humanist models of the self. Much of my recent educational leadership and service has involved supporting writing-in-the-disciplines approaches to teaching and improving the working conditions of contract faculty.