UBC Jumpstart 2015

I figured out perhaps writing a short introduction about myself will be good before readers look at my blog… Hopefully this blog will help new or incoming students who intend to join UBC!, or those who can relate to my posts! I am in the faculty of Arts! Intending to major in psychology and sociology, will make the final decision in Year 2! You can spot me at Vegan or healthy eating places (yes, Palate, yes) and very much in the Birdcoop during early mornings.

UBC.

Why did I choose UBC? That was a question that many people asked me in my country. I could make it for a local university back in my home country, but Ive decided to come to Vancouver to study. I told them, UBC is definitely a beautiful university, and it provides and supports various learning opportunities for students of different cultures and diverse backgrounds. Such strong support of multiculturalism of students makes one have a sense of belonging in UBC. To facilitate in assisting international students to have a smooth transition into UBC, Jumpstart Orientation Program was introduced!

Being in Jumpstart allows me to meet all the other international students who  are in the current situation as me, being slightly lost, looking forward to the new adventures and challenges ahead. With no friends at all, all we needed is to initiate to greet one another and start the conversation and tada! you have created a friendship. Who knows, he or she might be your best friend in UBC!

Staying in Gage, it means that I have 5 other room mates. I remembered that I opened my door so that I could meet and talked to them since we are staying together for our first year. That definitely helped, and we even had breakfast together on the first day! At the end of each day, I will initiate to ask my room mates what they have been doing! It was really interesting to hear their encounters, and definitely it was a bonding session for us as we each have our own activities during the day. We had our first breakfast together at Totem dining hall and after that I decided that I should probably cook my own meals in the future. It was really expensive to eat out. For those who are interested in buying your groceries, check out Safe on Foods! Its one of the most affordable place to get your stuff in UBC 🙂

I have tried certain food around UBC and it was pretty good!

For vegetarians, you could try the Palate. You create your own sandwich or either purchase the ready made salad or sandwiches. My favourite is definitely the create my own sandwich! (Added pesto, red pepper hummus, grilled tofu, tomatoes, cucumbers, falalel)

DIY Sandwich at Palate!

11910822_10153503435144435_222181101_n

Pardon my half eaten sandwich!

11908066_10153503435149435_1764995582_n

The new SUB, The Nest.

The international foodcourt at the Village was really near to UBC and affordable! I had tried the Mediterranean food and it was my favourite!!! (Hummus!)

During my Community Learning Group sessions, my leaders were so active and tried to initiate everyone to get involved and communicate! (Lets applause for their efforts) OH YEAH ARTS 18!

What I find most useful and helpful was the Learning Community session for Jumpstart. We got to spend time with a professor that was attached to our group for a week. She shared her experiences and useful tips for international freshmen. For example, time management which is really crucial in university life. She was really enthusiastic in answering our questions and hey, I felt even more prepared for it.

Learning Community Session on note taking and how the brain works to absorb learning materials

Dr. Rae ~

Looking forward to ImagineUBC day and meeting more new friends and classmates!

UBC Imagine Day

Finally!

UBC Imagine Day which means my official first day of starting my university life! It was another exciting journey of meeting new people aside from Jumpstart and that means stepping out of my comfort zone and initiating to talk to new friends in my Squad. (Shoutout to Squad 23 Skinner!!!) Even though during Jumpstart I have went to certain or most of the main buildings in UBC, it was also a time for me to remember where my classes are, I have classes at CHEM and MATH building which I have no idea where it was till my Orientation Leader brought me. I think this make me look less clueless on the next few days of classes I suppose?

The main highlights for UBC Imagine Day I felt were the Prep Rally and club booths being set up at the Main Mall.

It was a good welcoming celebration and it makes me feel all excited and ready for the challenges ahead. Soaking into the exciting atmosphere as each faculty cheered when their deans and faculty representative went up on stage makes me feel the strong, energetic spirit UBC has. (Go Arts Faculty Go!)

11994415_10153534243764435_1413034567_n

Dean of Arts, Dr, Gage Averill taking selfie with us!

11998583_10153534243789435_1890454528_n

Loving my squad leader! She is my Jumpstart leader too!

11994392_10153534243759435_138644052_n

Prep Rally!

11994332_10153534243754435_1052209291_n

#iamubc

After the prep rally, we hurried down to the Main Mall to check out the booths and this is my first time seeing so many different and interesting clubs! Can’t wait for clubs’ day to happen which will be from 2 weeks from now! Signed up for Food Society (who says no to good food!), Singapore Students’ Association (imma missing my hometown), Dance Horizons and much more… But then again, I’ve got a feeling that there will be lots of assignments and readings due which that means, I can’t join as many clubs as I want too. Oh yes, time management comes in to the story…

11998133_10153534243784435_258339265_n

Mahjong Club

12007295_10153534243794435_1276530398_n (1)

Got all my textbooks from seniors and all ready??? for school. I guessed I just got to be more mentally prepared for the overwhelming of readings and assignments that are coming, and if I need only support, seeking help from the school and friends is always the next best thing to do. 🙂

About Me!

Who I am. Well I get pretty confused about my identity at times, but the facts:

• Angela
  • Singaporean (Very few in UBC so I guess you can spot me easily)
  • First Year student in CAP (Coordinated Arts Program), intending to major in Psychology and Sociology
  • Dream Job, HR Psychologist or Clinical Psychologist.
  • I love cardio workout don’t ask me why and you will see me often in the gym with my ugly outfit and messy hair, oh in the mornings
  • Love Japanese, Korean, Mediterranean and Italian food