The Odyssey: disjointed reflections

When I think of well versed bards reciting The Odyssey to a crowd of people many, many years ago, it makes me realize a number of things about stories. On the one hand, not much has changed at all. I suppose Homer came about in the early days of epic journey tales, and he seems to have set the stage for many more recent books with similar themes. I spent a good portion of the novel waiting for Odysseus to arrive at Mt. Doom or meet an Orc army, so striking were the parallels between this and the work of Tolkein. I did however, come across a number of things that caused me to raise an eyebrow or feel vaguely uncomfortable; things I wasn’t used to. One of the first was the superficial nature of the characters, immortal or not. I sort of cringed every time Athena would make Odysseus tall, muscular, and handsome so that he would get some respect, or when a character would exclaim something along the lines of “Well, that chap is good looking and has an ephemeral glow, he must have good blood. Pour him some drinks!” Perhaps it’s the element of truth that disconcerts me.

There is a black and white sense of morality in this book. Distinctly old fashioned, as of course is appropriate for a poem written in 8th century BC. Grisly acts of murder and torture are accepted as rational and heroic, as long as they are justified. The whole text reads as an “eye for an eye” battle, but it did make me think a lot about the concept of right and wrong, and how different people might interpret it.

The Gods seem to be obsessed with material goods. A greek soldier could be as kind and loving as any, but if he forgets to burn some sheep thighs or pour out some libations to the Gods, he will have a rough go of it. I’m told this is just the way of the Greek Gods, but it is rather fun to point out their puerility. To be honest it’s actually really refreshing. You hear so much about the untouchable perfection of Gods that reading about them argue like teenagers and thinking about “revenge” is kind or nice. Homer portrays them as being very accessible. You can’t get away from the Gods, that’s for sure.

My last great mystery was what felt like an unfinished ending. Odysseus never made peace with Poseiden, never did what he was told to do in the prophecy. It just ended. I hear that the Odyssey has a lost sequel, explaining some of the suddenness of the ending; its a shame.

In summary, it was brilliant. What I originally saw as a very traditional, classic piece of text made me think about character far more then I thought I would. It snuck up on me, so to speak.

4 thoughts on “The Odyssey: disjointed reflections

1. Sam!

Really nice interoperation. You certainly made me think of things I hadn’t consider before. For instance, I never would have thought to phrase the book as having a ‘black and white sense of morality’ but it certainly does. While Homer distinctly points out the right and wrong actions that the characters partake in, it doesn’t really seem to stop them from committing rather bad acts, does it? I like your analysis and personal reflection of how people may interpret the differences of right and wrong. Kind of makes your think what the characters own morals were. Thanks for taking me to an extra level of critical thinking!

2. I find your comment interesting on the superficiality of the characters. You say that it makes you cringe, but could this not be attributed to life in our modern society? Some studies have shown that people who are “beautiful” tend to be paid more than their less attractive counterparts. I definitely agree with you in regards to the mortal aspects of the gods! To think that these deities that are so highly esteemed are prone to such human emotions such as jealousy is astounding. I suppose it brings a sense of reality and humanity to such ominous beings.

3. Hey Sam,

Awesome references to Tolkien! Now that I think about it I can see the similarities! I also agree with you about the Greeks obsession with the material, the aesthetic niceness of all they came across! The people seemed to only respond to beauty and strength and good looks! But I guess even now people only go towards that which appeals to them aesthetically – I mean at some point don’t we all judge things by the way they look? Make assumptions about them based on their physical attributes? Your post made me think about a bit more!