Iced Capps and International Students

The last ten days have been nothing but fun, friends, and a budding coffee addiction.

Jump Start was an amazing, well organized, program that successfully helped me integrate into UBC. I feel well prepared to take on the four Buchanan buildings, avoid the many mangy raccoons that skitter around, and dodge oncoming bikers like a pro. I know University Boulevard like the back of my hand, and I have collaborated on a video project that turned out to be more successful than Suicide Squad; our reviews were certainly better.

My Jump Start leaders were well prepared, knowledgeable, and personable. Our professor was from Lebanon, and he received degrees from The American University in Lebanon and McGill University in Canada. Plus, our group was made up of characters from every corner of the globe. We had people from Belize, Australia, Costa Rica, China, Granada, Korea, Barbados, the U.S., and the Philippines. Although we all came from different backgrounds, we were able to collaborate on group projects, class discussions, and Tim Hortons runs.

I love that UBC incorporates, nurtures, and accepts so many different cultures. Don’t get me wrong, I miss southern cooking; low country boil, chicken and biscuits, and okra are all wonderful innovations of the south. However, pho, sushi, and curry would, hands down, give them a run for their money. Speaking of which, I have made peace with the freshman 50 that I will be packing by the end of the semester. If anyone needs me, I’ll be stuck headfirst in a box of Timbits.

If the extensive array of food doesn’t  consume your every waking thought and you decide to venture out of The Nest, there are plenty of other things to do on campus. Although I would like to issue a warning to anyone who vehemently hates dim lighting, bass loud enough to kill a small child, and sticky people, I wouldn’t suggest wandering into a frat party. Sure it’s part of the university experience, but you need to surround yourself with people who will look out for you. Essentially, just keep your head on straight and avoid getting into shifty situations. UBC Rec also offers plenty of club sports and opportunities to stay in shape. Maybe run on the treadmill or kick around a soccer ball to burn off all of those calories incurred from sipping down 3 Iced Capps a day.

If you want to explore off of campus, then you have a U-Pass that you can pick up at the UBC Bookstore. The cost is included in your tuition, and you can ride public transportation as much or as little as you desire. We have already ventured into Vancouver twice, and I have spent my entire lifesaving’s evenly between thrift stores and Walmart. If anyone is looking for cheap clothes or shoes, then Value Village is a great place to go.

Two days ago I left my dorm sporting my newly acquired, used, hiking boots and we assembled a group to take on Grouse Grind. The ‘hike’ was a never ending upward slope of grueling stairs precariously placed just far enough apart for an unsuspecting hiker to trip on. We finished the hike in just over an hour, but the fastest time for the day was 37 minutes. Our group summited the tiny mountain breathing harder than marathon runners in the last two miles, but we did succeed and that’s all that matters.

In the last two weeks I have climbed a mountain, eaten my weight in donuts, met an amazing group of friends, and started to find my place on campus. UBC has been a wild ride so far, and I can’t wait to see where it takes me over the next four years.