AREAS AT RISK OF TSUNAMI IN THE CITY OF VANCOUVER

Lab3-Map

In an event of a tsunami in city of Vancouver, 5.87% of the total area is under danger. To find this percentage, I created a layer, in GIS, of areas within the 1 km proximity of shorelines as well as a vector layer of elevation areas 10 meters and under. Then, I used the ‘overlay tool’ under “Analysis tools’ in ArcToolbox to find the intersection of these two layers, which would show the danger zones in city of Vancouver. To calculate what percentage is under danger, I found the area of danger zone in the layer’s attribute table (using the statistics command) and divided it by the total area of the city.

There are a number of healthcare and education facilities that lie on danger areas. To find these facilities, I used the overlay tool in ArcToolbox, once more, navigating Analysis Tools > Overlay > Intersect. Then I entered Vancouver danger zones layer and healthcare locations layer in the “input features” field to find the healthcare facilities that fall into the Vancouver danger zones and I got the following from the attribute table of the new layer:

1. FALSE CREEK RESIDENCE
  2. YALETOWN HOUSE SOCIETY
  3. VILLA CATHAY CARE HOME

I did the same for education and the following were the result:

1. ST ANTHONY OF PADUA
  2. ECOLE ROSE DES VENTS
  3. FALSE CREEK ELEMENTARY
  4. EMILY CARR INSTITUTE OF ART & DESIGN (ECIAD)
  5. HENRY HUDSON ELEMENTARY

Here are some of the main skills I acquired from this lab (and also in this course):

• Applied my basic knowledge of GIS software in geographic analysis of real-world problems considering data integrity and ethical implications
  • Identified misaligned and improperly referenced data and repaired the problem
  • Created a map performing basic geographic analysis accompanied by standard map elements