My first MCAT full length

I did my first full-length MCAT yesterday!

For those of you also looking to write the MCAT, I used the unscored AAMC sample test.I purchased the AAMC practice bundle that includes 3 practice exams and questions banks. My wallet cried but I think the investment will be worth it.

• Fighting fatigue during a 7.5 hour exam is really hard! I need to train my endurance. I had an interruption halfway so I  took a longer break midway than I supposed, which I regret doing because It would have been better to do the exam straight through to get the most accurate representation of my abilities. So I think my actual score would have been lower than it was.
    • To be honest, it felt brutal mentally and physically.
  • The chemical and physical section was my worst section so I need to prioritize improving this section. I need to review content for this section
    • I need to review a lot of general chemistry that I vaguely recall from 11th grade chemistry
    • I also need to learn fluids
    • I also need to learn electricity
  • CARS felt alright. Not too rushed.
  • I was surprised at how well I did on the Biology section. I had to draw on knowledge from MICB 202, BIOL 200, and BIOC 202.
  • Psych/Socio section: I need more content review.

UBC thankfully has a long weekend this weekend so I was able to spend the majority yesterday writing the full length (as well as working on our upcoming club event. Hooray!) , and a chunk of today reviewing what I got wrong.

You might be wondering why I am taking a full length so early. I think it’s important to get a feel for the exam early on rather than wait until you’ve finished all your content review first before taking an exam. I’m a first time MCAT taker so I don’t know whether this is the right philosophy. I’ll let you now after I write the real test and see my score (eek!).

I have to be productive the rest of today because I’m going with my friend Veena to the Japanese design exhibition downtown tomorrow.

Do you have any tips for writing standardized tests? Any advice about the MCAT? I’d love to hear you from you!

Cheers,

Shanna

One thought on “My first MCAT full length”

1. Hi Shanna! I’ve been finding your blog posts really helpful. I’ll also be taking the MCAT this summer 🙂 What resources/books are you using to prepare? I’d love to hear from you.