Email Addresses for UBC Work

The security of our systems begins with things we do everyday like sending emails and non-UBC email services are not secure, nor private, for UBC work.

Remember, any information about identifiable students is
confidential and must be protected from unapproved viewing.

Where can I learn about proper email use?

UBC’s Information Security Manual under transmission states:

Image courtesy of renjith krishnan at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Third party email services are not appropriate for the transmission or storage of Confidential information; Confidential information must be stored in Canada and only in UBC owned or authorised environments. Specifically, email accounts used by University personnel, handling Confidential information, must not be on third party services such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Telus, Rogers etc.

Why are non-UBC email services insecure and not private?

Hotmail/Yahoo/Gmail etc. are offered through the United States where they are subject to the US Patriot Act. With these accounts, without your knowledge,  anything sent between you and your students can be searched by the US government.

Third party emails from Canada are also not secure as they do not have an agreement with UBC to provide services.

What is an employee’s responsibility?

UBC faculty and staff have a responsibility to maintain the privacy of their work with UBC and students by not using these kinds of accounts.

You can read more about emails at Student emails, staff emails – what’s private?

How do I get a UBC Email Account?

UBC email addresses can be set up  by contacting IT Services Accounts

Your department can request an email account be set up for any of their employees.

This entry was posted in SIS News, Training, User tips by Nina Kessler. Bookmark the permalink.

About Nina Kessler

My name is Nina and I am the SIS Security coordinator at Enrolment Services at the University of British Columbia. In SIS Security, we provide access to the users of the Student Information Service Centre (SISC) and the Faculty Service Centre (FSC). We also provide training for these systems. I post about training dates and relevent news regarding the use of these systems. I hope you enjoy our SIS Updates blog!