The Blood of the Conquistadores

The first chapter of Part III in How the García Girls Lost Their Accents, entitled ‘The Blood of the Conquistadores’, is one I find most interesting in the novel.  In this chapter, some agents of Trujillo coming to the García’s family home in the Dominican Republic. After some interrogation and a significant tension, a CIA agent neighbor intimidates the agents into leaving. Carlos comes out of hiding and the family realizes they must leave immediately for the United States.

This is my favorite chapter in the novel, and I think the climax of the book. It is narrated by ‘Mami, Papi, the Four Girls’, and this group voice unites the family against their common enemy, the Trujillo dictatorship. For all of the rest of the book, there is infighting and conflict amongst the members of the family. Of course, this is entirely natural and an honest presentation of life, but I enjoyed reading a chapter that demonstrated why the Garcías were a special family. The individual narration of the other chapters provides insight into each of the characters, but this chapters shows the inner workings of the family unit. 
I asked a question in class on Friday that I had been wondering for quite some time: why did two of the four girls end up being so messed up? I think it was Beth who answered that it was because the family was forced to live in fear their whole live- fear of Trujillo, Americans, rape etc. Upon reflection, I really think Beth was right about that, and this chapter is an explanation for everything that happened before it in the book. It explains why Carlos is so fearful for his daughters: he loves them and has been scared for their safety, and also wants them to connect with their homeland. By taking the risks for revolution like Carlos and Laura did, it demonstrates their deep love for the Dominican Republic. Unfortunately, although they kept their family physically safe, the past took an emotional and psychological toll.