With His Pistol in His Hand: Part 1

I have found myself really interested in this novel and its story. What I have really liked is the way that the story is being narrated. Rather than explaining a story using added words to describe situations, experiences and adventures being told, Paredes takes on a different approach as he presents the story in a very descriptive yet specific manner. This makes the story quite fast paced and enjoyable to read. I believe that this added to the effects of being able to fully submerse yourself and experience the kind of adrenaline rush that Gregorio Cortez probably has when running away from those who want to capture him, such as the rangers and the sheriffs.

One of the parts of the novel that really interested me was when the author first touches on the historical situation of the Lower Río Grande. He informs the reader of important information in regards to relationships between the Texans and the Mexicans and the communities near the border. It is quite interesting how this area that separates the United States and Mexico has been exposed to discrimination, ill-treatment and violence throughout history and it is still happening today in age. One of the areas that really caught my attention in this part of the novel was the way in which Mexicans were described by the Texans. It really surprised me how they were educated on their views of Mexicans not only through society and their discriminatory ideas but also within literature. The Anglo-Texan legend based on the attitudes and beliefs of the Mexicans were supported by literary works and articles. This so called legend was summarized in twelve points that expressed a completely racist, deplorable and superior status towards the Mexicans. One point that caught my attention was the one about Mexicans being of mixed race. Even though part of their race is of European descent the Texans still viewed it as inferior as they considered the Spanish race a second-rate type of European.  Though it was a European race they probably had an inferior view to it because it was not associated to the Anglo race.

I look forward in continuing to read this novel and in learning more about a heroic figure and the study of his life and the legend that he represents. This figure and his confidence, escapes from capture and personality inspired Mexicans and brought them together in remembering him through corridos written in memory of him.

5 thoughts on “With His Pistol in His Hand: Part 1

1. Curtis Holt-Robinson

Hey!

I definitely agree. It’s so interesting how discriminatory beliefs were passed down not only from newspaper articles their education, but through their literature as well. You touched on the fact that these prejudices still have consequences today. In an ever divided United States, it’s sad that these beliefs have stood the test of time and continue to segregate people. I’m interested in seeing where the book goes as well.

-Curtis HR

2. Maria Farinha

Hey Stephanie!
    I think the concept of ‘Race’ was something built into society at the time. People were Mexicans, English, Irish, Black, etc. And they were treated as such, I think there wasn’t a notion of equality even though we would think they respected each person’s dignity and freedom. These identities are ingrained in the mentality of society. We also saw that with The Squatter and the Don, after falling into poverty no one wanted anything to do with the Alamars. This was consciously and subconsciously done by people at the time and it was accepted. Discrimination towards the “Mexicans” and from the Mexicans towards the Texans.
    Nowadays I think we’ve come to deconstruct it a bit even though there are still many people that suffer from discrimination.
    Anyways this is just a thought 🙂
    – Maria

3. aurelien blachon

Hi Stephanie !
    I totally agree with your post. This specific and original narrative catches the reader’s attention. The first chapter, as you point out, is very useful to understand the context and therefore to appreciate the second chapter which tells us the incredible story of Gregorio Cortez. If it is this part that most caught my attention because I felt like I was witnessing an epic story, the mirror construction of chapter 3 of chapter 2 is a very original and convincing way of constructing the scholar argumentation.

I would like to build on your reflection on the concept of race, because this terminology is still used in some English-speaking countries. This concept has a controversial intrinsic value because its modern meaning was constructed in relation to social Darwinism. This theory of society, which appeared in Europe at the end of the 18th century, claims to apply the biological concept of natural selection to politics. This concept, which is based on an imitation of natural biology, also applies biological determinism to groups by associating the physical condition of an ethnic group with social characteristics (such as behavioural patterns, hierarchy in society, etc.). As you point out, the categorization of people according to their “race” has led to prejudices, the consequences of which are still present today. This racialization of groups is therefore not a problem of the past, but an even greater problem today, as the extensive use of “race” shows.

Aurélien

4. RachelCervantes

I agree with what you’re saying about the structure of the book. I found myself being hooked by this book better than The Squatter and the Don. I also find it interesting how you mentioned the border between Texas and Mexico and I completely agree with you. It is sad how even today, it’s still an issue. I understand both the American and the Mexican side to this “Build a Wall” thing that Trump is trying to implement. I grew up in a third world country so I know what it is like to live in one. Although I can say I was more fortunate than others, I’ve seen the pain and difficulties that people had to deal with on a day-to-day basis in a third-world country. I think everyone would want a better life for themselves and their loved ones if they were put in that situation. On the other hand, I also do understand the valid concerns that the US might have regarding the protection of their citizens, even though part of the USA now was part of Mexico before.

5. craig campbell

Hey Stephanie,

I liked how these ballads were narrated as well. No nonsense, no frills. It reminded me how my grandfather used to tell stories, just the bare facts, enough to get his listeners to the end without them falling asleep. There is something to be said for a pared-down narration. Certainly if this were how all stories were presented, we’d become bored with reading. But I totally imagined some older guy from out west (or I guess back east given where we are) just telling a story about something he heard from his youth. I think, too, that there is a spoken quality to these words. Paredes mentions that these ballads and corridos were never written down. The oral tradition of story telling, whether spoken or sung, seems to be lost these days.

Have a good weekend,
    Craig