Anything but the One Tonne Challenge: A Case for Transferable Development Rights

April 21st, 2011 Comments Off on Anything but the One Tonne Challenge: A Case for Transferable Development Rights

Once I realized that a comprehensive national carbon policy was not in the near future (see my last blog post) I started looking for alternatives. What else could our government do to help us reduce emissions? Anything but Rick Mercer’s One Tonne Challenge, I thought.

In this post on the Globe and Mail’s Economy Lab, I investigate policies that might encourage us to live in greater density. Read more here.

Suggested Reading:

Glaeser E. L., and M. E. Kahn (May 2010), “The greenenss of cities: Carbon dioxide emissions and urban development,” Journal of Urban Economics, Volume 67, Issue 3, pp 404-418.

McConnell, V, and M. Walls (2009), “U.S. Experience with Transferable Development Rights,” Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, 3(2): 288-303. doi: 10.1093/reep/rep008

What's this?

You are currently reading Anything but the One Tonne Challenge: A Case for Transferable Development Rights at The Green Room..

meta

• About Me

I am an Associate Professor in Environmental and Resource Economics at the University of British Columbia, Canada.

Through my research I try to gauge the efficacy of policy designed to help the environment. This research is usually joint with colleagues from the University of British Columbia---the real brains behind it. I recently studied automobile sales in Canadian provinces to determine if tax rebates for hybrid vehicles were cost-effective. Studying appliance sales in the US, I analyzed whether mail-in rebates for energy star appliances helped promote their adoption. I am currently studying whether British Columbia's vehicle retirement program, BC SCRAP-IT is cost-effective and am trying to understand what motivates someone to participate in it.

Follow sgulati on Twitter

• RSS Personal Blog – Mostly Travel Related