Anything but the One Tonne Challenge: A Case for Transferable Development Rights

April 21st, 2011 Comments Off on Anything but the One Tonne Challenge: A Case for Transferable Development Rights

Once I realized that a comprehensive national carbon policy was not in the near future (see my last blog post) I started looking for alternatives. What else could our government do to help us reduce emissions? Anything but Rick Mercer’s One Tonne Challenge, I thought.

In this post on the Globe and Mail’s Economy Lab, I investigate policies that might encourage us to live in greater density. Read more here.

Suggested Reading:

Glaeser E. L., and M. E. Kahn (May 2010), “The greenenss of cities: Carbon dioxide emissions and urban development,” Journal of Urban Economics, Volume 67, Issue 3, pp 404-418.

McConnell, V, and M. Walls (2009), “U.S. Experience with Transferable Development Rights,” Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, 3(2): 288-303. doi: 10.1093/reep/rep008

What's this?

You are currently reading Anything but the One Tonne Challenge: A Case for Transferable Development Rights at The Green Room..

meta