The Misperception of Safety in an SUV

July 15th, 2011 Comments Off on The Misperception of Safety in an SUV

Sports Utility Vehicles are bigger, taller and heavier than cars. They are designed to rule our roads. Sure, it would be hard to find a parking spot, and I can foresee begging for an increase in my credit limit to fuel the monster, but me and my family would be safer in a Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV). Wouldn’t we?

I need that truck.

In this post at the Globe and Mail’s Economy Lab I argue that a perception of being safe in an SUV is incorrect.

Suggested Reading:

Bradsher K. (2002), “High and Mighty: The Dangerous Rise of the SUV,” Public Affairs, ISBN-10: 1586482033.

Anderson, M. (July 2008), “Safety for Whom? The effects of light trucks on traffic fatalities” Journal of Health Economics, 27($):973-989. doi: 10.1016/j.healeco.2008.01.001

What's this?

You are currently reading The Misperception of Safety in an SUV at The Green Room..

meta

• About Me

I am an Associate Professor in Environmental and Resource Economics at the University of British Columbia, Canada.

Through my research I try to gauge the efficacy of policy designed to help the environment. This research is usually joint with colleagues from the University of British Columbia---the real brains behind it. I recently studied automobile sales in Canadian provinces to determine if tax rebates for hybrid vehicles were cost-effective. Studying appliance sales in the US, I analyzed whether mail-in rebates for energy star appliances helped promote their adoption. I am currently studying whether British Columbia's vehicle retirement program, BC SCRAP-IT is cost-effective and am trying to understand what motivates someone to participate in it.

Follow sgulati on Twitter

• RSS Personal Blog – Mostly Travel Related