There is no spoon. The spoon is time.

I’m gonna give you some fair warning here. In spite of how chipper my last post was, this blog is likely going to be filled with what I like to call ‘real talk’. This means that I’m unlikely to sugar-coat things when I feel they suck. This will not be a ‘Yay UBC, school spirit and happiness in all things!’ place. If you want to read that, look elsewhere. This is going to be a legitimate ups and downs kind of narrative. There will be good days and bad days, and I prefer to be honest about it all than pretend. If you’re human and can appreciate that, I invite you to take off your shoes and join me in the lounge.

IMG_20150909_131250

I’ve been having a lot of trouble keeping track of time. It seems to constantly run away from me, no matter how hard I try to catch up to it. In spite of that, between reading chapters in various textbooks, online quizzes and failed attempts to maintain my sanity, here I am writing another blog post. Maybe I’m hoping that it’ll help me wind down from my 9am-6pm days on campus, the unfortunate norm that has become my first term at UBC.

It’s week 2, guys. As registration deadlines loom ever closer, we’re quickly approaching the moment that the next few months of our lives solidify and become constant. I don’t know about all of you, but my schedule looks completely different from it’s pre-September rendition. I feel like I either drastically overestimated my own abilities, underestimated the intensity of UBC, or both. Between a full course load and part-time work, time has become something of a luxury item in my life. If I could afford more of it, I’d buy all I could. Unfortunately, I’m working within a more realistic dimension – one where time is fleeting, and work is abundant.

For example, I had hoped to take Japanese for my language requirement. Japanese culture and language has long been an interest of mine, having had a few Japanese friends back home. As a typical geek, I’ve also been known to watch the occasional anime and gorge myself on sushi (as well as other Japanese cuisine). As a gamer, I’d always seen the importance of the Japanese market and the effect of its culture in my primary sources of entertainment. In short, I wanted to have a greater understanding and involvement in that world. After making an appearance at all my classes in the first week, reading the course syllabi and various versions of what people are calling “Chapter 1” in all my textbooks, I sat down to take a stab at memorizing my first batch of characters and sounds. It quickly became apparent to me that it was going to be difficult to memorize over 50 new symbols over the course of a few days, and near impossible given my commitments to other intense/time-consuming classes (taking priority as pre-reqs for applying to Computer Science) and part-time work (necessary to pay the bills, which unfortunately keep coming in…). Maybe if I sleep for 3 hours each night instead of 6 I could make it work. I think I would die though.

It’s honestly been a pretty depressing realization for me. I had hoped that I could get out of my comfort zone, and explore something new that I was interested in. Life doesn’t always work out the way you want it to, I guess, and we have to make the tough decisions. Sometimes I think that a stronger, smarter person might be able to make it work, or maybe that I took a wrong turn somewhere and placed myself in this situation. I don’t know what the answer is, but the outcome is the same: no Japanese for me. I’m in French 101 now, which will be considerably easier to manage since I have a bit of a background in it. This is not to say that nothing else I’m taking is interesting, but it’s pretty common that a student’s first year is filled more with required courses than a focus on their real interests, and I feel like I lost a battle before the war had even really begun.

If we were sitting outside sipping a coffee, I might launch into a related rant touching on flaws I see in the existing educational system. As you searched for the right moment to politely get up and leave, I’d segue into how business interests and profit chasing have negatively affected the quality of education at a post-secondary level, and increased stress and mental health issues in students while draining their often limited resources in what is already widely considered a poor
economy. I’d touch on how 40-60% averages are not only the norm, but entirely expected or advertised, and failing (in spite of the time and money invested in any given class) is simply viewed as a casualty of being a student. Maybe we’ll have that conversation one day. Maybe you’ll want to have it with me, and we could conjure a better way to learn, grow, and explore our identities as young adults.

Instead I’ll wish you all good luck in this term and the next, in case I forget to in January.

The Great Canadian Adventure

Province signs we passed on the way to B.C.Had you asked me a year ago where I thought I’d be today, I probably would have told you about working my I.T. job, finding a nice apartment in or around Niagara Falls, camping in Northern Ontario, and spending obscene amounts of time playing and collecting video games. The life I’d built, and just about all my family and friends were in Niagara. It seemed reasonable to me to stay and try launching a career in Ontario. There had always been a part of me that wanted to come out here and continue my education, but it had seemed the less likely, prohibitively expensive option.

In all honesty, I applied to UBC almost purely out of curiosity. I’d finished 2 years of college with good grades, and wanted to see if this prestigious university had any interest in someone like me. As it turned out, I was accepted, and the possibility of working towards a degree in Computer Science became real. I spent a lot of time debating my next move, and for a time it seemed as though I was going to let the opportunity fall through the cracks in favour of the life I was already living. Clearly I was unable to resist the adventure, challenges, and opportunities that UBC represents, and as a result I’ve found myself around 4,500 km away from where I thought I’d be.

I’ve been here just over a month after a long but epic road trip across Canada in my Chevy Cruze. I’ll never forget that fateful day in July when my friend and I crammed what was essentially my entire life into the back of a car and left Niagara Falls (in southern Ontario) to begin our long journey westward. He would later return home for another year of school in his game development program, while I would remain here to build a brand new life. Saying goodbye to my family was probably the most difficult part for me. I’m 24 and I cried like a baby the night before we left, hugging my mom and knowing it would be a very long time before I’d see her again. I am obviously the epitome of manliness.

The trip itself was a completely different kind of challenge. I’d heard that B.C. was going through a bit of a drought before I left, but I guess the rest of Canada wasn’t planning to follow suite because it rained quite a bit as we traveled. We had one good night in Ontario, which we used to camp in Algonquin (I highly recommend it if you find yourself out there). The following day and a half it rained until we managed to get out of the province. We camped in Manitoba and woke up to more rain, which made for a pretty miserable morning as we scrambled to dry and pack away our gear as best we could. Saskatchewan was flat, windy and cloudy, but pleasantly dry. The prairies felt so empty and lonely compared to any place I’ve ever been. In Alberta we finally managed to get some sun, and after meeting up with an old friend in Lethbridge we decided to camp in Banff, where we met a really awesome musician from Quebec. He lumbered over to our site a few time to borrow our tools, his waist equipped with a belt that held a series of unique harmonicas which he played into the night.

We woke up early the next morning because more rain was on its way. We managed to beat the downpour by about an hour, and made our way into B.C. for the final leg of our drive. My friend fell asleep in the passenger seat around Kamloops, which of course meant that I made a wrong turn on the highway that cost us a good 3 hours. It was a happy accident though, as we were able to fully experience the Okanagan in all it’s dry, barren splendor. We found a forest fire around Ashcroft that was being battled by planes, and as we watched the smoke billow into the blue sky, we hoped that some of the rain we’d faced had followed us to help combat the blaze.

Finally, we arrived in North Vancouver to stay with my aunt and uncle.  In the short time that I’ve been here, I’ve managed to secure a place to live, and a part-time job in the village. I hit up the Pride Day parade, spent time in Whistler, Vancouver Island and Harrison Lake, went cliff diving in Lynn Canyon, and used just about every method of public transportation this city has to offer. In spite of everything I’ve done up until now, the biggest adventure lies ahead. UBC, you are my next frontier, and I’m going to throw everything I’ve got into this new life.

Bring it on.