Bio

Hi Everyone,

I’m Brenda, and I live in Calgary, this is my first semester at UBC and I am working towards my dental hygiene degree completion.
A little bit about me…

I work in a general dental practice. I have over ten years of experience working in the dental field, and I am passionate about helping people obtain oral health and wellness. I enjoy educating patients, through evidence-based research, on the importance of oral health and how it relates to their overall health.

The opportunity to complete my dental hygiene degree online through UBC, is an appealing approach to completing my studies, in order to further enhance my professional career goals. I am very excited to have this opportunity for personal and professional growth. I am excited to develop my technical communication skill sets through the English 301 course this semester. I believe that it will be fundamental to undertaking online courses.

When I’m not at work, I enjoy volunteering with public dental health care teams in the community and abroad. I had a very humbling experience volunteering in El Salvador with Health Mission Outreach Canada, which is, a humanitarian organization based in Ontario. I am passionate about working within the community, and hope to work in a public health related employment position one day; I am also fluent in Spanish.

What I enjoy the most in my free time, is spending time with my family, we like cooking together and having everyone gather for dinner and quality time spent at home. I also love travelling and exploring exotic places around the world. Biking in our beautiful city’s cycling paths with my husband is one of my favourite activities. I also love escaping to the Rocky Mountains to recharge.

Looking forward to working collaboratively with you!