Do Not Bite into this Donut if You Want to Live!

Do not bite into this chewy piece of heaven, please. Because if you do, you can’t stop.  YOU WILL EAT THESE TO YOUR DEATH.

I cannot find the words to describe how amazing these donuts are, so I have to let you figure that out yourself. The fried dough itself is lush galore, but I dipped mine in homemade caramel sauce.

Classic Yeast raised donuts.

The recipe is of a classic yeast donut, and you could add just about anything on top and still create a masterpiece.

These classic yeast raised donuts are like a blank canvas.

Note: If your kitchen is too humid, adding some more flour to make it ‘workable’ doesn’t hurt. I did, and my babies still turned out fantastic.

I also added 1 tsp of Vanilla essence to enhance the flavors.

Recipe Adapted from Babble

Classic Yeast Raised Doughnuts

1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups milk, warmed
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter or shortening, softened

canola oil, for cooking
sugar spiked with cinnamon, for rolling (optional)

In a small bowl, stir together the yeast and water and set aside for 5 minutes. (If it doesn’t get foamy, toss it out!) In a large bowl, stir together the milk, sugar and eggs; add the yeast mixture and stir until well combined. Add 2 cups of the flour and the salt and beat until well blended. Add the butter and beat until incorporated.

Add the rest of the flour gradually, stirring (or using the dough hook on a stand mixer) until the dough comes together and isn’t too sticky. Continue to beat with the dough hook or turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Cover and let sit for an hour, until doubled in size.

Roll or pat the dough out and cut into doughnuts or rounds (if you don’t have a doughnut cutter, use a round cutter or glass rim, then another smaller round cutter for the middle). Cover and let sit for a half hour to an hour, until they puff up again. (They’ll rise even more as they cook.)

Heat a couple inches of oil in a heavy pot until hot but not smoking. Gently cook the doughnuts in batches, without crowding, turning as needed until golden on both (or all) sides. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Serve warm or toss in a shallow bowl of cinnamon sugar to coat. Makes about 2 dozen.

My messy workstation.

About

I am a tiny 18 year old with big dreams, in a big city. I like to eat, and dance in the rain. My goal in life is to make you fall in love with me, through my words.

Tagged with: , , , ,