The Idiot

by viktoria vdovina

I have finally finished reading Dostoevsky’s The Idiot, and I absolutely loved it. I really enjoyed the complex characters, especially the protagonist Myshkin and I also liked Nastasya Filipovna. I found him very interesting due to the fact that he is completely opposite of the Russian aristocrats during that time period. The Prince is supposed to represent the qualities of an ideal human being. He is honest, compassionate, and kind. He forgives everybody and is never bitter towards anyone. Rogozhin attempted to murder him with a knife, despite this Myshkin forgives him. Agalaya behaves cruely towards Myshkin and often mocks and laughs at him, but Myshkin forgives her and is overjoyed when she decides to get back together with him. I liked Nasstasya Filipovna because I thought her story was very interesting. She blames herself for what Totsky did to her and even though she loves the Prince she won’t be with him and views herself unworthy of his love. I also thought it was very interesting how this book was partly autobiographical. Like Prince Myshkin, Dostoevsky also suffered from epilepsy. Thus whenever the prince suffered an epileptic fit, the way the fit is being described is what the author himself experienced. Overall I thought the book was very good and I look forward to writing an essay on it.