Information for Biology 230, Winter 2017T2

I am the lecturer and field-lab coordinator for Biology 230. It is part of my job to answer your questions about registration, and about the organization of the course. Please read the material below carefully before contacting me; if your question is not answered here, by all means email to ask it.

Note regarding lecture-section enrolment: if the class section is full (or Blocked), you should register immediately for the waitlist section . The waitlist becomes the only path of entry to a section once it has been Blocked. Students registered in the waitlist will be moved periodically into the section’s class list as seats open due to Drops; if a few students are still on a waitlist at the start of term, we will do our best to make space for them. Students on the waitlist who are serious about entry to the course should contact me, and attend lectures as long as there is hope of entry.

LAB REGISTRATION-RELATED:
Your lab registration may be changeable, even into apparently “full” days.
We can add one or more people to a lab-section if it is necessary to accommodate all registered students, but this must be done under my direction. Follow the instructions to be posted in the Labs area of the course Canvas site if you cannot register yourself in a suitable lab section; if registered in the lecture but unable to enter a suitable lab section, you can safely leave your lab-section slot blank and wait to be accommodated by my orders.
I guarantee that every student registered in the course will receive a lab section that works for her/his schedule. S
tudents are moved for two reasons only: where they can demonstrate a course- or employment-conflict requiring a change of day, or by my rearranging-decisions in balancing section-sizes within a lab-day to enhance course efficiency.
No lab-registration changes will be made until the course begins – we can use the first 10 days or so of the term to iron out any problems and arrive at final lists, when you follow the instructions to be posted. In the short term, if registered in the lecture but unable to enter a suitable lab section, you can safely leave your lab-section slot blank and wait to be accommodated by my orders.
You are likely to receive emails from me via Canvas or the SSC concerning required lab-registration changes
; I may have to close or consolidate sections, and/or redistribute students within a lab-day. Therefore, be sure that the email address you have specified for university communication is one that is valid, and frequently checked by you. You are responsible for ensuring that messages can reach you: because these messages have no specified recipients, they may look like spam/junk to your email system, so program an exception for any message containing the course number in its subject line.
You must attend to my changes to your position in labs –  I will be directing the Biology secretary to Block all lab registration moves well ahead of the Registrar’s Drop deadline, in order to control section sizes as I see fit. (Biol 230 should be Blocked on Thu 11 Jan.) Because you cannot move yourself after registration is Blocked, and we don’t update the SSC to reflect my changes (not necessary), I will be your source of information for any change to your pre-existing section-number. The lab-section class lists I prepare for the TAs become the official ones, superseding SSC information for any student who I inform of a move.
[ All changes I make will be sent directly to the students involved, and will always involve within-lab-day moves unless you request a move to a different day; see above regarding email-contact responsibility. ]

HOW THE LAB PART OF THE COURSE RUNS:
Field lab sections are not “drop-in” or casual – once enrolled in a specific section, you work with a consistent set of colleagues and will be assessed by the same TA through the term. Your attendance and participation in labs is not optional; you can earn about 20% of the course grade by completing them, so it’s well worth your effort. Each student is a vital part of our team, and equipment is organized to suit the expected number of students, so unexcused absences will be penalized. We have other rules too – see the detailed lab Manual, to be posted in the Labs area on Canvas.
There is no lab-book to buy – the general lab Manual document, and materials specific to each lab, will be posted on Canvas for you to download. The Manual contains all background information you require (uploading/downloading class data, rules about timing and reports, etc.) – read it and follow it.
The course has a total of three field-labs; here is the full schedule (they will will be in your posted lab Manual and you will be reminded in class of upcoming lab-weeks). All students in the course will be in the field in the same week each time.

BIOL 230: Prelab ID session Prelab
quiz due:
Lab
(field days)
Data upload deadline TA Office hrs (Thu-Fri) Hand-in deadline
Epiphytes on trees     [1] 15-19 Jan Sat 20 Jan, 1pm 22-26 Jan Sun 28 Jan, 9am 31 Jan-1 Feb Fri 2 Feb, 1pm
Isopod abundance   [2]
     None  Mon 5 Feb, 1pm 5-9 Feb Sun 11 Feb, 9am 14-15 Feb Fri 16 Feb, 1pm
Forest diversities   [3] 5-9 Mar Sat 10 Mar, 1pm 12-16 Mar Sun 18 Mar, 1PM 21-22 Mar Fri 23 Mar, 1PM

In non-field weeks you usually have no lab-associated meetings. Exceptions to this rule:
– the two pre-lab sessions, which occur at normal lab-times in the week prior to Lab 1 and in the week prior to Lab 3 (details will be posted in advance);
– I may decide to make use of some weeks of 
the lab timeslot in your schedule for learning activities, etc. (again full details will be posted in advance).
Finding your lab group and TA – note that the information you need for this will not be on the SSC! Field labs have no meeting-rooms; on field-days, each lab-section will gather at a predetermined outdoor location near Biodiversity just before 2PM. To know where to go, you will consult the slide we call the “gathering-map” in the Labs area on Canvas – it will be there prior to your first field-week.
To contact your TA or find her/him for office hours there will also be a posted chart we call the TA-link, which associates TA contact info, office-hour times and locations, and which sections, TAs, and gathering-locations go together on each lab-day.
Field labs run as scheduled irrespective of weather or other conditions. So far (since September 2009) no event forcing rescheduling has occurred, so we anticipate this to continue. If there should be severe weather, labour disputes, disruption of transit service, etc., bulletins will be posted and/or mass-emailed to the student list.
Typical lab events in brief – for each lab: the data you collect must be shared immediately within your working-group of about 4 students; a member of each working-group will upload data to our course data-website (strict deadline), from which it will be downloaded for analysis by all class-members; in the week following each field-week, your TA will offer office-hour consultation periods; and each individual student will submit a completed lab report of Manual-specified kind for the TA to grade (strict deadline).
I manage and check incoming data, analyze it for the TAs, and determine when the dataset can be released for you to download. Note that it is sometimes necessary for me to email an uploader seeking clarification of your uploaded data, or an explanation of why your data were not uploaded. Therefore, be sure that you keep an eye out for messages from me on deadline-Sundays (late-morning or early-afternoon). You are responsible for ensuring that my messages can reach you (see also above on this point).

Best wishes for your work in Biol 230, I hope you will enjoy it. – WG

Moving done!

I’m now in place in Wesbrook (rm.20, basement-level on the side of the building facing East Mall; also sometimes to be found in rms. 12, 16, and 24 for various reasons!). My phone number and email address remain the same as shown in the header of my homepage. My (paper) mailing address – shown in the About Wayne tab – is also unchanged.
[ Historic notes of interest – Frank F. Wesbrook MD, pictured below with a recent view of his eponymous building, was the first President of the University. The Faculty of Medicine was established in 1950, and in 1952 its first real home was this brand new building, fittingly named to commemorate Wesbrook (who had died in 1918). It’s an honour to have the chance to spend time in a building so closely connected with one of UBC’s founders.

I hope many readers of this post will have the chance to visit me – my office is full of postcards from travelling students too! (left)