The Sexualization of Woman´s Bodies in Mexico

photo 2When people ask me what I study here in Mexico I just tell them Agriculture and Indigenous Studies to keep things simple. Actually though, my focus is more social agriculture rather than Agriculture Engineering (what TEC offers). One of the students in Agriculture knows/thinks I study agriculture back home so invited me to go with his class to visit one of the largest Agriculture fairs held in Latin America. I actually visited the exposition with four other agriculture classes in Irapuato Guanajuato (about a two hour bus ride away).
I was going to the fair with some things in mind—main example, I have an interest in the social impacts of small scale agriculture and I dont think this fair was really going to be geared towards that. As well as “Yesssss ticking off another Mexican state off my list!”

To nobodys surprise, the exposition was very focused on large scale agriculture. Anything that you would ever need in the agriculture industry could be found at this fair, from John Deer tractors, the cardboard boxes that vegetables arrive in at the grocery store, to hydroponics and different types of animal feed. So as you imagine,  it was HUGE!

It was HUMOUNGOUS.

We were given five hours to explore, and some students were complaining that this would not be enough (Oh come ON, SERIOUSLY?).

Tractors for saaaaaale!

Tractors for saaaaaale!

As it was focused on things like maximizing yields, specializing machinery, and the latest technology, I soon became quite bored. Like mind numbingly “holy shit it has only been five minutes since I last checked my watch” bored. So, as I always do when in situations in which I feel uncomfortable, I decided to run away. To be honest, I was more bored than uncomfortable, but still pretty uncomfortable nonetheless. But before I slunk away from the fair to go explore the surrounding neighbourhoods—and by explore I mean taking a nap in a local convenience store— there was something that struck me about the fair: the role of woman.

photo 3There were so many people at the fair, and yes, it was mostly men. Not just the visitors but 95% of the vendors were men. And this is where my biggest “this is super weird” moment came. The role of woman who were at the exposition was to wear 7 inch heels, do their hair and wear “sexy” clothing to entice men into the stand. They were there soley as sexual objects in the most non-subtle way possible. If you are a human in todays society and have stepped outside in the last 100000 years you have probably seen this before in some shape or form. As a minuscule example that is comparable to the Agriculture fair, at UBC you see those “sexy girls” who come to campus handing out red bulls. Why are there no old people or fat woman handing those out? Wait, even if they did diversify the type of people who were handing them out, they are still being used as objects no? I don’t know. ANYWAYS.

Here in Mexico, this objecitifcation is much more up in my grill.  More exagerated and prominent. I think it also has to do with the contrast of the machismo-ism that exists in Latin culture, and the prominent gender roles here.  But I wish I was more critical thinker and able to figure this out better. In my experience at the Agriculture fair, the woman are literally on display. I was creeped out thinking about what those men who were taking pictures with these woman were going to do with the photos. Admire their good looks later? Like seriously!

photo 4

——–There were lectures too. A good place to practice my listening skills. Like, spanish listening skills. Not like kindergarden listen politely skills…in case you needed the clarification…..

But the thing is, its not just taking place at this one place in an Agriculture Fair in Irapuato. I see it here when there are furniture sales and at fried chicken stores…everywhere! Its strange when you compare the role of woman on the morning talks shows with what the men do: the amount of talking the woman do[nt] do, the amount of dancing they do (yes, they dance.), the amount of production that has gone into putting them on display. And I could go on and on!  And there is a HECK of a lot more that can be said around this topic, but I don’t feel I am able to articulate all these things yet, because I am still learning and unlearning.  So if you have anything to add or comments, please leave em below 😀

My last few posts have been semi-negative, but I want friends and family and randoms to know I am still having a wonderful time! I have chosen a new apartment for the next semester, and when I move in January I will blog about that tooººº   I am going to have my own place (plus a roommate from Chiapas)! Cooking my own soy sauce dishes and baking bread!! I AM SO PUMPED but sad to leave such wonderful homemade Mexican food :3

Okay talk to everyone soon