Woodhaven Encounters

Alison Trim is a visual artist from Ireland, and MFA student at UBCO. During her residency at Woodhaven from September 2018 until April 2019 she will be regularly posting images, encounters and experiences from this particular patch of land.

06/03/2019 Morning Visitors

The wonderful thing about living at Woodhaven is that you never know who’s going to wander past the window when you’re washing up the breakfast things. Last week it was a raccoon without a tail (no photos I’m afraid) this week its these two very pretty looking coyotes.

25/02/2019 Woodhaven artwork at UBCO campus

So far. And yet, so very nearly…. bark rubbing and pencil on cut paper, is the work resulting from the rubbing of a ponderosa here at Woodhaven that I blogged about a couple of weeks ago. It’s currently on show in the Fina gallery at the CCS building up at UBCO campus in an exhibition called Making Senses, until 1 March.

06/02/2019 It’s chilly out there

05/02/2019 More collaborating with the ponderosa pine tree

Developing rubbing/collaborative drawings further, with one of my favourite Ponderosas on the land here at Woodhaven. Thanks to Paul Barnes for the photographs.

16/01/2019 New Year, New Semester

Trying out some collaborative drawing practices with a lovely big obliging Ponderosa

29/12/2018 

23/12/2018 Happy Christmas from Woodhaven

Finding traces of the Raccoon family who pass by the creek unseen.

09/12/2018 As the slowing and freezing begins

The creek is still running for now, but the icy shards are growing each night, and the shapes changing and evolving.

05/12/2018 Standing on the shoulders of…

29/11/2018 More school visitors 

Lines everywhere, in all directions, more children at play.

11/11/2018 School visitors

Last week, in absolutely pouring rain, a group of school children came on a visit to Woodhaven. I stayed inside in the dry and warm. A few days later I found traces of their visit among the trees. I don’t know which school they came from but I have to admire their persistence, and their refusal to let the rain ruin their day out.

03/11/2018 November

The path of the seasons is turning a corner and, with the rain, almost all the leaves are now fallen and the creek flows faster and louder.

24/10/2018 Seedheads

The beautiful October sunshine picks out every fine hair on its head.

21/10/18 The gold is gathering 

And everywhere I looked it was all yellow.

14/10/18 When things are looking up

With blue skies and on bright days the trees seem to stand a little taller. Their lines stretch up towards the sun, and draw us up along with them.

06/10/18 Home

Suspended amongst the yellowing leaves, the cloudlike form of a wasps nest creates swirling lines around the dark hole that serves as their doorway.

29/09/18 Tracing lines in the sky

I could watch, mesmerised, for hours while a hawk traces out his route, around and around in the blue clearing above. But he has other places to be.

26/09/18 A moment

A moment of focus and a moment of belonging. When all your senses are alert, your awareness is heightened and everything is suspended in that gaze. For just a moment.

23/09/18 Hieroglyphics?

Getting very excited by some carpenter ant trails found in an old bench. What are the ants trying to say? This is exactly what being an artist is for me sometimes.

21/09/18 A Richness of Surface

19/09/18 Looking down from the deck

She’s looking right back up at me.

12/09/18 First Explorations

Past the bike shed and the garden shed, follow the trail to the woodshed,
past the plank crossing the dry creek bed, and round to the left.
The trail gets less clear, under the shrub, the remains of something on the ground.
On through the brush keeping right of the bendy tree, back onto a clearer path.
Then left, past the dripping tree and round to the back of the studio.
Onto the driveway where I meet momma deer and her spotty young one.
Carry on to the right of the house and follow the dry creek past curtains of dead branches.
Turn left at the fallen tree and stop to talk to a squirrel.
Climb across stony ground to the bank of the creek and follow it upstream, to home.