Gender Roles: Advert Implictions

My choice for this Colgate advertisement is guided by the need to analyze the social position of women in relation to that of men. This advert portrays some aspects of female subordination but in a hidden manner. The advert depicts a woman who appears to be biting a piece of cloth with all her strength. It reads, “Smile with strength” and in my interpretation, this message implies that women need to be pushed or require some form of support in order to perform tasks that are not necessarily hard. It reinforces the view that women, to some extent, occupy a subordinate position socially and thus need to be boosted in some way.

I also believe that the advert can lead to an understanding of how the society perceives women when it comes to penetrating certain gender roles, particularly when it comes to moving beyond domestic chores. Traditionally, women are known to be confined in the home environment because that is where they are believed to operate best. In this regard, a woman’s central roles are related to being a caregiver, wife, and homemaker. Women who choose to obtain formal careers or job or rather to work outside the home environment have to strain in order to occupy positions in formal employment. This advert seems to support the notion that is normal for a woman to strive to make it in a world that is beyond the home environment. Additionally, the “smile with strength” slogan implies that it is not uncommon for a woman to fight for her place in the society. The advert may imply that a woman’s subordinate position renders her weak and thus she needs support from different sources.

Jammed Advert

My focus was to subvert the messages in the pre-jammed advert, which depicts women as weaker and thus cannot stand by themselves not unless they are offered support. In this advertisement, I seek to portray women as strong individuals who should have equal opportunities as men in society. Often, women are underrepresented, which implies that men are more powerful and that they are the cultural standard. By using the words, “smile for you own and possess it”, I aim to create the image that women should not be placed in a subordinating position. It is meant to demonstrate that they are powerful as well hence they should be bold enough to claim their positions in society.

I also included the words, “you are stronger that they believe” to demonstrate that women should not limit themselves to the stereotypical and unrealistic perceptions of society. For instance, most women are considered passive and dependent on men while their social roles are confined to housework or being nurturers. Therefore, in this jammed advert, I seek to demystify this myth. In general, my focus is on establishing a character that portrays women as strong who in as much as they may occupy care-giving roles, they can as well be independent, competent and active agents in life. I hope to communicate the message that women should not resign to the view that they incompetent, dependent and subordinate characters. I expect that when a woman looks at this image, she feels empowered and rejuvenated.