Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Last updated on September 18, 2020

Recordings of previous Town Halls & Webinars

If you were unable to attend the live session or are simply looking to revisit the content discussed, we have uploaded the recordings from past sessions. You can access the recordings via the links below:

Program Timeline

What is the MBA full-time program start date?
Your program officially begins on January 11, 2021 through Opening Week. Attendance is mandatory.

When is the 50% point of my program?

You will be at the 50% point of your program on August 25, 2021.

If you are able to travel to Vancouver sooner, we encourage you to arrive during the December break to give yourself time to get situated and settled in Vancouver in addition to completing your mandatory two-week self-isolation period (for students arriving from outside of Canada) before the program begins.

For initial information on preparing a self-isolation plan, visit this link: https://students.ubc.ca/new-to-ubc/travelling-to-canada/prepare-self-isolation-plan 

Deferral Requests

Can I defer my program start date to the August 2021 intake?
Yes, students can request a deferral of their program for one year, one time only.

If a student has already deferred once, can they defer again?
No. As mentioned above, students can request a deferral of their program one time only.

What is the process for initiating a deferral request?
Please send your request to Ning Liu, Manager, Recruitment & Admissions Operations at ning.liu@sauder.ubc.ca and CC mba@sauder.ubc.ca
In your request you will need to provide a rationale for seeking the deferral and how the additional time before your program start will allow you to successfully prepare for your program start.

When is the deadline for initiating a deferral request?
The last day to submit a request for deferral is November 15, 2020.

Will I keep my entrance award / scholarship if I choose to defer my program start?
Entrance Scholarships are only valid for the program start year that they were assigned and cannot be deferred. You will be reconsidered for an entrance award / scholarship once we begin offering these to the August 2021 intake.

If I defer my program start, will I get my program deposit be refunded?
No. If your deferral request is approved, you will be asked to pay an additional deferral deposit of $2,500 CAD in order to confirm your seat for August 2021. The cumulative $7,500 amount will be applied to your first tuition instalment.

Required and Supporting Documents

I am having trouble accessing some of the required documents listed in my offer of admission e.g. transcripts and diplomas. Can I have an extension on the published deadline?
Yes. We recognize the disruption that the COVID-19 pandemic has caused around the world and would like to support you in meeting the requirements of your offer. Our Full-Time MBA document deadline has been revised to November 20, 2020.

If I have outstanding conditions on my offer letter, will I be issued a new one?
After original transcripts are received, a new letter will be issued to the student. The Recruitment and Admissions Team will be able to support students with this at mba@sauder.ubc.ca

Where can students get a Proof of Enrolment Letter with the correct dates?
Please send your request to askmba@sauder.ubc.ca if you need a proof of enrolment letter to support financial or housing applications.

Study Permit & PGWP

Should I continue to apply for my study permit?
Yes. Many visa processing centres around the world are operating at reduced capacity amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. It is important to start the application process for your study permit as soon as possible to give you the best chance at receiving your application approval in time for the program start date.
First step: Contact David Sage, our International Student Advisor and Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant at intlubc@students.ubc.ca for support with your application.

Does Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recommend travel to Canada?
Not all students can travel to – and enter – Canada due to current travel restrictions. To assist you, UBC has put together an online guide that can help you determine if you may be eligible to travel to and enter Canada. We encourage you to walk through all steps contained in our comprehensive guide: https://students.ubc.ca/new-to-ubc/travelling-to-canada

If you meet the criteria for travel to Canada, you must still be admitted by a Canadian Border Services Officer at the point of entry (Airport or land border crossing). An officer must assess if your entry is essential due to hardship in accessing online coursework (limitations of bandwidth/speed or time zone challenges) or a requirement to be on campus.

Eligible students may download a letter of support from UBC along with the program schedule. You may find the document here: https://students.ubc.ca/new-to-ubc/travelling-to-canada/before-you-travel

We further encourage you to bookmark and return to this guide regularly as Immigration policy is changing quickly.

What would happen if conditions do not become suitable for in-person learning after we’ve completed 50% online? Would I be allowed to pause the program and continue it later so that I can meet the conditions required for a Post-Graduation Work Permit?
As this would be an unprecedented scenario, the RHL Graduate School program office would make a decision on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the UBC International Student Advising office. We know that the Post-Graduation Work Permit is an important consideration for many international students, and we are committed to supporting you as best we can for you to receive your Post-Graduation Work Permit after you complete your UBC Sauder degree.

If I can’t get to Canada by the 50% mark, can I complete my degree online?

Depending on how the global response to COVID-19 evolves, you may complete more than 50% of your degree online. We strongly recommend talking to your Program Manager if you are in this scenario as it may have other implications for you (e.g. future eligibility for a Post-Graduation Work Permit ‘PGWP’, for example).

If I don’t receive my study permit by the program start, can I apply for a deferral then?

If by this date you are concerned that you will not have received your study permit by the program start, please contact mba@sauder.ubc.ca to discuss your options.

However, please note that according to the IRCC guidelines, you do not need a study permit in hand to begin a graduate program, just a submitted application. Once approved, it will be backdated to the program start date and will count towards PGWP.

Tuition, Student Fees, and Financial Support

Will tuition installment due dates change?
Your tuition will be divided into four equal installments which are due on the timeline below. The exact amount of tuition and student-levied fees as well as payment deadline will appear on the UBC Student Service Centre (SSC) prior to each month that tuition is due.

DatesDomestic StudentsInternational Students
January 7, 2021$12,354.75 + student fees$20,815.75 + student fees
May 12, 2021$12,354.75 + student fees$20,815.75 + student fees
September 8, 2021$12,354.75 + student fees$20,815.75 + student fees
January 7, 2022$12,354.75 + student fees$20,815.75 + student fees

The $5,000 CAD MBA Program deposit that you paid to accept your offer of admission to the UBC MBA will be credited toward your first tuition installment (January 2021).

Will I get a reduction in the amount charged for UPass?
The U-Pass BC program provides students with universal, accessible and affordable access to public transit across the Metro Vancouver Region.
Post-secondary institutions, student associations, and TransLink worked to temporarily suspend the U-Pass program from May 1 – August 31, 2020.

Whilst the program was reinstated for September 2020 – onwards, students studying outside of Vancouver have the option to opt-out of the program.

As post-secondary institutions in the Metro Vancouver Region continue to firm up their decisions around the Fall study term (September – December), a decision will made regarding the UPass and this will be communicated with you accordingly.

Online learning: What to expect?

What is the Hybrid model and Hyflex model?

• Hybrid Model: Some course delivery is in-person and the remainder is online delivery. An example would be one class a week in-person, with the remainder being accessed online, synchronously or asynchronously.
  • Hyflex Model: We know that some students will have individual barriers and may not be able to attend classes in-person due to study permit/visa issues and/or health reasons.

To accommodate all of our students, our intention is to offer a Hyflex learning environment whereby students can choose to attend the session in-person or online.

We are currently working with our Learning Services team to ensure that our classrooms are equipped with the right technology to support the Hyflex model.

Will I be able to access the school facilities while the learning is online?
At this time, the UBC Sauder building is closed and cannot be accessed for student study space this fall. However, if you would like to work on campus, you may book study space at Irving K. Barber Library up to two times per week. More details can be found here: https://ikblc.ubc.ca/.

How will groups be coordinated in different time zones?

Often, professors will assign groups to make sure there is a breadth of background, talent, and expertise in each group. There will be times when professors allow students to choose their own groups, likely later in the term when students have communicated and gotten to know each other better. One of the key skills that students will develop is buiding relationships and group work dynamics among different time zones, especially when workplaces transition to online learning and working remotely.

Global Learning Opportunities

Who can students contact regarding the UBC MBA – Yale MAM dual degree?

Please email rhlglobal@sauder.ubc.ca to find out more information.

Are exchange programs and GIE an option for Class of 2022?
To allow for more time for global travel to return to normal as well as allow for more time to settle into your UBC MBA full-time program, the Global Immersion Experience (GIE) component has been scheduled towards the end of your program.

We strive to prioritize the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff. GIE and in-person exchange programs will proceed as intended, only if:

• Canada, and the respective governments of the host countries where our partner schools are located lift restrictions on international travel, and
  • Our partner schools have the capacity to, and resume accepting exchange students.

Career & Professional Development (CPD)

How can I get started on my MBA career and professional development?

We are excited to announce that COOL (Career Options On-line) and the Career Playbook are now available on Canvas for you to start preparing for your summer internship search.

Students will start to have access to networking opportunities and events on COOL so make sure that you review the information and reach out to the BCC if you have any questions.

Once you complete the introductory modules in the Career Playbook, you will be able to complete an intake questionnaire that will allow you to be matched with a Career Coach and later on book 1:1 appointments via COOL

Housing

How is residence supporting physical distancing, hygiene and health protocols?

• Residence staff trained to refer residents with cold or flu-like symptoms to HealthLink BC at 8-1-1, Student Health Services or their own health care professional.
  • Limited number of self-isolation units set aside for residents who are not local and have been directed by their health professional to self-isolate.
  • Additional signage in community and public washrooms and throughout residence buildings reminding residents, staff and visitors to wash their hands. View all our SHCS Covid-19 signs, posters and decals to date.
  • Elevator protocols have been adjusted and guidelines have been posted.
  • Hand sanitizer dispensers in each Commons block and the residence dining rooms.
  • Enhanced cleaning and sanitizing.
  • Fitness, music, study, meeting rooms as well as common spaces are either closed or have had seating removed.
  • Outdoor recreational areas are closed. Some outdoor courtyard spaces remain open, but with the reminder to maintain physical distancing.

What Residence amenities have been adjusted in response to COVID-19?

We will continue to provide the services and amenities that align with guidance from health authorities, and help create a healthy, safer and supportive community environment. Key adjustments may include:

• Communal/common spaces may be temporarily closed or have seating removed. This includes fitness, music, study and meeting rooms, along with outdoor recreation spaces.
  • Larger community building events and activities will not take place, including intramural sports, musicals and more.
  • There may be a reduced number of residents overall, and limited opportunities and support for building communities.
  • The Residence Meal Plan will be modified: less selection of food, likely takeout meals only, and physical distancing protocols mandated.

Keep in mind that we may have to adjust our services and amenities on an ongoing basis, often on short notice, to align with public health authorities. Please also be aware that Student Housing is recommending but not enforcing physical distancing. As Vancouver Coastal Health reminds us, they “are recommending physical distancing as one of the ways to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. At this time, there are no public health orders enforcing physical distancing.”

Where can I find additional information on UBC Student Housing?

Along with UBC, Student Housing has implemented plans to provide the best possible accommodation for our residents given COVID-19 challenges and the fact that most classes will be held online during fall 2020. This website contains useful FAQs and resources, and is being updated regularly following advice from provincial and federal health agencies.