Unit 2: Reflection

In Unit 2, we learned about many new forms of technical writing such as formal reports, profile writing and outlines with the guidance of the textbook and Dr. Paterson.

When researching LinkedIn practices, the process highlighted how the platform is able to be used in depth to connect and network. I had created a profile prior to the assignment of setting a LinkedIn profile up, however had not fully explored the many options or expanded beyond the very basics neither did I think about how to create compelling profile as much. The research component for professional networking on LinkedIn immediately changed how I viewed the profile making process which had a direct effect on my profile. For example, many articles and suggestions from teammates suggested the skills section include a combination of hard and soft/professional and interpersonal skills. Other practices, such as developing a profile centred around highlighting career objectives, including passions, made it clearer on what experiences to include and also how to write these sections.

The Formal Report Proposal was a trying process but learning. The guidance of the Formal Report Topics handout and explanation provided in Unit 2:1 by Dr. Paterson was especially helpful in understanding what kind of topics were appropriate or could be expanded upon through the primary source of research- interviews and surveys. In the past, I was very focused on paper research and having to conduct interviews and surveys, the topics seemed to narrow. However instead, the ability to choose any topic meant a new freedom that was daunting as it was new but exciting. There were many questions such as audience, purpose and possibility to consider and connect together and it was a long process of scraping ideas, deleting and editing. Coming up with a topic as well as fully expanding on the “proposed solution” aspect were some of the hardest parts of the process for me. However, I am excited to continue with the next steps. I have also enjoyed reading about the introduction to interviews and surveys on the Instructor’s Blog. The guidelines and examples especially have been very eye opening when creating the different questions between interviews and surveys.

The peer review of the Formal Report was valuable. To receive feedback from new perspectives showed various methods in reviewing work and areas to focus on that I would have overlooked. Peer reviewing work has not been something I have experienced much however have enjoyed throughout the course as it allows a chance to read other people’s work and for other’s feedback and suggestions. My peer review partner suggested adding much more specific or relevant information which was very helpful. One of the main things in technical writing that I am currently learning and developing is the inclusion of details, details and more details. From something seemingly more casual such as building a LinkedIn profile to Formal Report Proposals and Outlines, much of the processes require clear communication. Through the peer reviewing process as well as the Instructor’s Blog, I have been able to realize this and hope to improve going forward.