About Us

Zhiyun Cheng (zhiyun.cheng1@gmail.com)

My contribution to the project

In the beginning, it was me that proposed the project topic. The idea was originated from an ESRI online tutorial that I watched in summer, in which Hazus was used to assess the natural disaster damage (website link: https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/57630437851d31e02a43f278/hazus-for-decision-makers/ ). I thought it might be cool to do the same thing for Vancouver. However, I did not get the license to download the software so we used MCE instead.

The data that I collected include the Vancouver DEM, the surface geology, and the land-use of Vancouver. I had done most of the methodology and result part. I also did the overall revision of our text and did editions.

What I have learned from this project?

This is the first GIS project that I have ever done and it is a very unforgettable experience for me. I have learned many lessons from the project and here I would like to the two most important things that I learned.

The first thing I learned is the importance of finding reliable and appropriate data. In my previous GIS labs, I did not bother to look for the data myself. This project makes realise the challenge of finding data.

The second important thing I learned is although ArcGIS is a powerful tool for spatial analysis, it does not always run as you expect. Bugs constantly emerged when I run the software. I searched solution from tool help, Google, and by asking TA. Finally, we have got the results we want. In my future GIS career, such problems will be very common. Therefore, the best way is to learn the method of solving problems rather than solving one single question.

Jackson Chen (jaxsonchen@gmail.com)

Hi everyone, I’m a 3rd year Environment and Sustainability major student in UBC Geography department. I interested on urban planning realm and topics related to sustainable development. In my past GIS project, me and the project teammates research on the restoration of Vancouver’s lost streams and specifically looked at the Salish Creek in the Pacific Spirit Park.

For the current assignment, I made my trifle contributions in following areas:

• Research and collect surficial soil data, tsunami-stimulate map.
  • Write about Abstract and Conclusion section and revised by Zhiyun.
  • Organize and set up the blog site for our project display.

Zhitan Li (leezhitan123@gmail.com)

Hello, my name is Zhitan Li and I am from Qingdao, China. I’m a 4th year environment and sustainability major student. I am really interested in cartography, GIS and any topics that focus on the relation with environment and society. My contribution of this project is that I collect some data we need and find academic essays about our topic. I also write the part of the project report and help to edit it. From doing this project I learned GIS project is based on the plenty of reliable data and the process of analyzing data could be the key part of an GIS project. It is not a easy job to find a proper data that 100% fit our project and thus we have to refine the data we need from a huge database. The process is hard but the result of our project is gratifying and I really want to say thanks to my teammate.