1.1 Hello English 470!

The Raven and The First Men by Bill Reid

Hello Class of English 470! My name is Chloe and I’m currently at the end of my 3rd year as an English literature major. I grew up in Richmond, B.C. and since I love travelling, I’ve explored many different parts of British Columbia. There is no doubt that B.C. is the most beautiful, nature-filled place on Earth and I’ve been to many places in my life! I started my university career at SFU, then I transferred to Douglas, and finally, I chose to finish up my degree at UBC. I’m taking this class in the distance-ed format because I like the structure of this course (blogging) and since I’m taking 5 courses, it makes school easier to manage in terms of my schedule. I’m excited to learn from all of you!

Canadian culture had an extensive influence on my life growing up. The aspect of Canada that I appreciate the most (other than the amazing air quality) is the art. There is no art like Canadian art. Ever since I visited the Museum of Anthropology at UBC for the first time 6 years ago, I fell in love with the piece by Bill Reid called “The Raven and The First Men”. I remember I was captivated by the smooth carvings and the backstory of this piece. How Barry McWilliams from the “Raven Finds the First Men” described the backstory of the piece:

“In the original Haida story – Raven mates the Chitons with the groins of the men from the Clam shell, they experience strange emotions, then the Chitons, back again on the rocks, grow large and the first Haida – both men and women are “given birth from these”

Another piece I appreciate immensely from Bill Reid is the “Spirit of Haida Gwaii”, which is situated in the YVR airport. Other than Bill Reid, other Canadian artists and authors that I admire include Margaret Atwood, Corno, and Emily Carr. I love Atwood’s depiction of dystopian societies like in “The Handmaid’s Tale”.

The Spirit of Haida Gwaii by Bill Reid
The Spirit of Haida Gwaii by Bill Reid
10551106_10154437070850343_1414750794134392281_n
Photo I took at Lake Louise, Alberta

Throughout the duration of this course, I expect to learn much about the stories of First Nations and their beautiful cultures. It seems like the course will provide detailed perspectives of the relationships between Canadian culture, literature, and tales. We will read books, stories, and articles on topics of Indigenous cultures and the other social personalities that make up the Canadian personality. We will likewise look at how stories have formed these diverse cultures. Furthermore, the course will examine the ways in which the indigenous and non-indigenous interact by exposing us to the stories that define Canada as a country. I hope to learn perspective from these stories and learn more about the connections in Canadian culture.

My friend and I at the MOA 6 years ago
My friend and I at the MOA 6 years ago

Additional Links:

Raven Finds the First Men

Corno’s Website

Cross, Anne. “The Raven and the First Men from Conception to Completion.” UBC Museum of Anthropology. UBC Museum of Anthropology, 1990. Web. 8 Sept. 2016.

Ferreras, Jesse. “15 Stunning Works Of Aboriginal Art From Across Canada.” The Huffington Post. N.p., 2015. Web. 08 Sept. 2016.

Marie Mauz´e. Bill Reid (1920-1998). European Review of Native American Studies, Christian F. Feest, 1998, 12 (2), pp.11-14.

8 thoughts on “1.1 Hello English 470!”

1. Hi Chloe,

I appreciate your taste in Canadian artists. I haven’t read much Atwood, but my idol growing up from age ten was Emily Carr….

I’m wondering if you have looked at any other creation stories besides “The Raven and the First Men.” I’ve found that by reading many creation stories, one begins to grasp how how creation stories influence the continuation of culture. For instance, the Nuuchahnulth believe in their creation story that Raven stole a fire ball from an old fisherman in the time before there was light and flew up into the sky to create light (that is an incredibly basic version of the story, by the way). For the person who owns the sun to be an old fisherman makes sense in Nuuchahnulth culture because they do a lot of fishing and once hunted whale for food/resources. Of course a man would be a fisherman – because that was one of his roles. Likewise, the man’s daughter, who I did not mention in that overly simplified version of the story eats Raven disguised as a leaf and she gives birth to him as her son. This reinforces the idea of women as mothers in Nuuchahnulth culture… among their other roles, of course.

2. Hi Chloe!

I absolutely agree with you that B.C. is the most beautiful, nature-filled place on Earth! Both the sea and mountains are right by us, and there are plenty of forests to take everyday walks in.

I am envious of how awed and appreciative you are of Canadian art, or art in general. I have several friends attending the Emily Carr University of Art and Design, and I am no doubt surrounded by art here in UBC. However, I cannot seem to interest myself in it.
    What in particular about the backstory of “The Raven and The First Men” interested you? Is there a specific style or theme in Bill Reid’s carvings that pull you in? Also, do you think there is a message that the Haida are trying to convey through “Raven finds the First Men”? Or is the story just a form of cultural preservation?

Jenny

3. Hi Jenny,

I think a great start to immerse yourself into Canadian art is to really look at the details and the backstories of the pieces. Many pieces in Canadian culture are fine, carved wood with a polished finish and the backstory behind them are always fascinating. I’m mostly interested in a creation or dystopian context.
    I enjoy Bill Reid’s style because of his work’s polished smoothness and his homage to these creation stories from Indigenous culture. In Haida culture, the raven is a significant symbol:

The Raven was a trickster full of supernatural power. He stole the sun from his grandfather Nasshahkeeyalhl and made the moon and stars from it. The Raven created lakes, rivers and filled the lands with trees. He divided night and day, then pulled the tides into a rhythm. He filled the streams with fresh water, scattered the eggs of salmon and trout, and placed animals in the forests. The first human was hiding in a giant clamshell and Raven released them onto the beaches and gave humans fire. Raven disappeared and took with him the power of the spirit world to communicate and connect with humans

The story of the Raven is definitely an effort to preserve their culture while its deeply rooted in their beliefs and also the creation of the Haida culture in general.

Creation Stories:Canadian First Nations:

4. http://www.sd91.bc.ca/frenchj/Students/Creation%20Stories%20First%20Nations.html
  5. Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your response! I really enjoy reading creation stories in Canadian culture because it identifies the roots in which the Country was formed and how it affected people in these cultures. I loved reading about the Nuuchahnulth’s creation story. I always thought it was interesting how women are the ones depicted as the side characters or the ones who are maternal. In contrast, the man’s always the one who either creates or sets the creation story afoot. For example, in the Blackfoot tribe, they believe that:

Long ago there was a time when water covered the entire world. Napi the creator wanted to know what happened below all of this water. He sent a duck, an otter, then a badger, but all came up with nothing. Finally, a muskrat dove beneath the water and was down a very long time. He returned with a ball of mud in his paws. Napi took the lump and blew on it until it dried and was transformed into the earth. He molded the hills, valley, and mountains with his hands. He created groves in the earth for rivers and lakes. The first people were molded from this earth and Napi taught men and women how to hunt and to live. Once Napi felt his work was complete, he climbed up to a mountain peak and disappeared.
    <>

Sometimes I wonder why the woman can’t be the creator in these stories unless she is giving birth or is doing something inherently maternal…

6. http://www.sd91.bc.ca/frenchj/Students/Creation%20Stories%20First%20Nations.html
  7. Hello Chloe,
    Welcome to our course of studies together, and thank you for a great beginning blog. I am looking forward to learning more from you perspective and engaging with your insights. Enjoy!

8. Hi Professor Paterson,

Thanks! I’m looking forward to learning about from you and my fellow classmates

Cheers

9. I see you don’t monetize your site, don’t waste your traffic,
    you can earn extra cash every month because you’ve got hi quality content.
    If you want to know how to make extra bucks,
    search for: Boorfe’s tips best adsense alternative

10. I see you don’t monetize your page, don’t waste your traffic, you
    can earn additional cash every month because
    you’ve got high quality content. If you want to know how
    to make extra $$$, search for: Boorfe’s tips best adsense alternative