Kozma (1994) believes that using media in the class increases learning.  Clark (1994) believes media are “mere vehicles that deliver instruction but do not influence student achievement any more than the truck that delivers our groceries causes changes in our nutrition.”

I’m not sure who I agree with.  I think it’s important to use technology even if it doesn’t improve learning because:

1. Students will need to have basic technological skills for when they enter the workforce.
2. Students like using it. Clark cites Salomon (1984) who implies that the students believe their learning will improve through using tech so that’s why they learn. Whether it is due to their beliefs or the technology, they are still learning.
3. Technology varies instruction expanding the list of tools teachers can use to teach.

I agree that instructional practise is more important than the technology itself when teaching content.

Clark, R. E. (1994). Media will never influence learning. Educational Technology Research and Development, 42(2), 21-29.

Kozma, R. B. (1994). Will media influence learning? Reframing the debate. Educational Technology Research and Development, 42(2), 7-19.

Comment now!

Trackbacks