Club Penguin Marketing Assignment Reflection

My marketing team chose to study Club Penguin, an online virtual world for socializing and playing games, aimed at children aged 6-14. We chose Club Penguin because we thought that it would be interesting to study it from a marketing point of view, as it’s structure was very different from the other companies offered, as it operates completely online. We quickly learned that establishing solid SWOT factors, and clearly identifying aspects of the 4P’s of marketing was difficult due to the online nature of the company, as the internet offers endless possibles. This was the first time that I knew some of my team members coming into the assignment (rather than meeting them for the first time through being in the assigned team); it was both positive and negative, as I had a lot of fun working with them however, it is more difficult to stay on track when working with friends. From this team experience, I have learned that I personally prefer to work with acquaintances rather than with good friends for serious assignments. However, I did learn how to balance being disciplined and offering constructive criticism when necessary, while still maintaining those friendships (thank goodness eh?) For the next time around, it would have been great if we had started earlier on our final video, because there are so many cool ways to create a video with a company like Club Penguin (we had even thought of going to the Aquarium to see the real penguins there, had we only started planning earlier). All in all, I enjoyed this marketing assignment because it asked for us teams to do a variety of tasks and left the creativity largely up to us. YouTube Preview Image