Pop Culture’s Obsession with ‘Booty’

Jennifer Lopez released her ‘Booty’ music video last Thursday, September 18, 2014 that has already wracked up more than 29 million views already.

Photo taken from Google Images.

For a shallowly written song which has one theme, to ‘shake your big booty’ I question what is up with pop cultures’ obsession with booties?

Photo taken from Google Images.

It possibly could be attributed to Miley Cyrus and her invention of ‘twerking’ that has let to this massive theme in today’s culture. Other artists such as Nicki Minaj, have also recently released a song ‘Anaconda’ with the whole music video and song centered around booties.

While these music videos may be entertaining and edgy, I fail to see the lure. These are women who are just establishing that they arenothing more than overly sexualized beings who exist for the sole purpose of pleasing men.

Haven’t woman made significant advances within the world? Woman can vote, get an education and now play important roles within the corporate world. Why in the world are these artists belittling the advancement women have made?

This Jennifer Lopez music video was literally 4 minutes of butt shots. How is this popular? We all have a butt, it’s not something that we’ve never seen before, so I fail to see how watching people shake their booty can be THAT entertaining. I know it seems edgy and provocative, but why as a human race have we not advanced more than this?