2017/2018 Executives

President

Name: Eustacia Kwok

Hello!

My name is Eustacia and I’m your ACSA president for the 2017-2018 academic year. As president, I’m a big advocate of ACSA and here’s why: although Co-op is already such an enriching experience, with ACSA you get the opportunity to enhance that even further with a genuine community!

My first experience with ACSA was as a mentee in their flagship Mentorship program the same year I got accepted into co-op. My mentor was an alumni that had previously worked in the Arts Co-op office and was able to give me a lot of insight into the program, applying for jobs, and figuring out my career.

When I became a mentor the following year, I had the opportunity to share everything I learned from my mentor with my own mentee, who enjoyed the experience so much she became my Mentorship Chair this year!

For this coming year, I hope to bring you more career development opportunities, connect with the student body, as well as work to make each co-op student’s experience with the program as enriching and fulfilling as possible.

I look forward to meeting you at ACSA and co-op events alike in the near future!

Treasurer

Name: Carson Ho

Hello everyone! My name is Carson and I’m a 3rd-year student in the BIE program.
Put simply, I manage your money. They say I know budgeting, which kinda makes sense because I’ve lived in Hong Kong for some time (housing in that city is no joke). When I’m not busy keeping myself up-to-date on the latest economic research, you’ll find me volunteering at the UBC Crane Library where we adapt academic texts into voice recordings for the visually-impaired. Oh, and I know how to solve the Rubik’s Cube. I really do.

Degree/Specialization: Bachelor of International Economics (BIE), Minor in Statistics

Year: 3

Past Co-op Experience(s): Data Analyst at Alzheimer Society of B.C. (S17)

Favourite:
1. Quote: “The world only makes sense when you force it to.” – Batman
2. Book: “Outliers” by Malcolm Gladwell
3. Movie: “500 Days of Summer” directed by Marc Webb, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel
4. TV Show: “How I Met Your Mother”
5. Hobby: Drowning myself in Bloomberg articles

Course you would recommend: ASIA 326 Critical Approaches to Manga and Anime (really fun course; you do need to write short essays, but overall the workload is manageable)

Spirit Animal: Tiger (Man, I don’t know, it’s what that online quiz told me)

Professional Development Chairs

Name: Alice Kim

You could say that I am a curious and reflective introverted extrovert. I enjoy making new connections (aka talking to strangers) and having honest and genuine conversations. I love to acquire new knowledge (my flexible major helps with this), and explore places I haven’t been to before. So far, one of the most life changing experiences I had was going to Saigon, Vietnam for an internship. If you have any questions about my experiences, major, or anything at all, please don’t hesitate to talk to me!

Degree/Specialization: Major in International Relations

Year: 4

Past Co-op Experience(s): Special Events Assistant at Mount Pleasant Family Centre Society

Favourite:

1. Quote – “Let no feeling of discouragement prey upon you, and in the end you are sure to succeed.” -Abraham Lincoln
  2. Movie – Zootopia
  3. Hobby – Listening to French radio, watching movies (in French too), strolling along Coal Harbour or by Science World, watching reflections of city lights on water, singing

Course you would recommend: FNH 355 International Nutrition, POLI 373 Ethics in World Politics, HIST 366 Europe During the Reformation (I couldn’t choose one! I enjoyed all of them.)

Mentorship Chairs

Name: Andy Yoon

Hello everyone, my name is Andy Yoon, a fourth year International Relations and Political Science student. I am an international student from South Korea who grew up and studied in various cities in New Zealand, China and Canada. Therefore, I possess a strong cross-cultural awareness, and I am very open to different ideas, values or concerns you may have during your journey in the co-op program. I am all ears! Also, I am currently on an 8 month co-op term working at a private research, consulting and software company called BPI, Inc. as a Junior Research and Database Analyst. I look forward to meeting you all!

Degree/Specialization: International Relations (Major), Political Science (Minor)

Year: 4

Past Co-op Experience(s): Junior Research and Database Analyst at BPI, Inc.

Favourite:

1. Quote: “Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.”
  2. Book: Brida by Paulo Coelho, The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
  3. Movie: Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, 13 Hours
  4. TV Show: The Walking Dead
  5. Hobby: Bodybuilding, Boxing, Watching movies on Friday night

Course you would recommend: HIST 425 War and Society, HIST 402 Problems in International Relations, ASIA 310T Tibet and Himalayan Culture and Society, GEOG 391 Modern Europe: Places and Border

Name: Li Xin Shi

Hi! I’m this year’s Mentorship Chair. I enjoy reading Japanese literature, analyzing films, and studying the Chinese language. Growing up in Vancouver, I saw the importance of staying in touch with my roots. Learning the Chinese language allowed me to communicate with people I otherwise wouldn’t be able to, become more interesting and meet more interesting people. I am very excited and look forward to organizing the Mentorship Kick-off Event and sharing my experiences with you!

Degree/Specialization: Asian Language and Culture: China

Year: 4

Past Co-op Experience(s): Matsuri Festival Assistant at the Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre

Favourite:
1. Quote: “All of our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.” –Walt Disney
2. Book: Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto
3. Movie: Train to Busan
4. TV Show: Keep Running
5. Hobby: Badminton, knitting, photography

Course you would recommend: ASIA 254: Sex, Gender, and Sexuality in Japanese Literature and Film

Spirit Animal: Mouse

Social Media Chair

Name: Kelly Chen

Hi everyone! My name is Kelly and I’m a 4th year student in the BMS program. I’m most interested in video marketing as a career because I like to convey different stories and emotions within a short amount of time. I especially love capturing people’s attention and using both visualization and audio to immerse them in an experience. During the hours when I’m not working or in school, I enjoy keeping up with several TV shows, spending time with my hedgehog and eating loads of good food.

Degree/Specialization: Bachelor of Media Studies

Year: 4

Past Co-op Experience(s): Marketing Intern at WhatToZee & Video Marketing Coordinator at Avigilon

Favourite:

1. Quote: “Tough times never last, tough people always do.”
  2. TV Show: “Friends”
  3. Hobby: Going on little adventures in the city

Course you would recommend: FIST 240 “Film Studies – Media Industries”

Spirit Animal: Otter

Web Chair

Name: Novera Sayed

Hi! I’m your current Web Chair, which means that I am in charge of this website and also assist Kelly with any publishing help she needs. The co-op program is not only stellar in their ability to jump start your career while being a student, but is also an excellent support system, which is why I want to give back to a community that is already doing so much for me already! Don’t be afraid to come up and say hi if you ever find me around campus or during the events. I love learning and sharing knowledge so ask me anything ranging from Economics, Business, Physics and Astronomy (my initial intended major), Water, Books, anything really – growing up with the Internet has led me having a lot of scattered knowledge about random things and having curiosity about all the things I have yet to learn. 🙂

Degree/Specialization: Economics Major; Commerce Minor

Year: 4

Favourite:

1. Quote: “Remember you never have an obligation to quiet the hurricane inside your chest.” – Andrea Gibson
  2. Books:
    • A Thousand Splendid Suns – Khaled Hosseini
    • The Unbearable Lightness of Being – Mila Kundera
    • The Sun Also Rises – Ernest Hemmingway
  3. Movie:
    • Her
    • Gone Girl
    • The Lobster
  4. TV Show: Friends
  5. Hobby:
    • Writing
    • Swimming
    • Reading
    • Dancing
    • Singing

Course you would recommend: CENS 303 – Representations of the Holocaust

Spirit Animal: Dolphin