Biography

Hi there!

My name is Adrienne Yap and I’m a fourth year psychology student. Considering it’s my last year at UBC, my philosophy is to participate in as many meaningful and enriching experiences as possible.

Academics

I have quite a diverse academic portfolio. I spent two years as a science student before realizing I was neither very passionate nor very skilled at it. However, I did learn a lot about analyzing,  synthesizing, and condensing research. I have since found my interests in social psychology, particularly anything digital media or marketing/advertising related. This past summer, I took a creative writing course and absolutely fell back in love with writing. This encouraged me to join The Ubyssey, where I am currently a staff writer. This year, my courses are largely focused on writing and psychology for new media (ie: blog, podcast, VR/AR, profile).

Professional Interests

This is something I’ve wrestled with for quite some time. My mom always encouraged me to explore writing, so naturally I disregarded this advice for years. That is until I realized that once again, moms are always right! I’ve since embraced my love of language, the ability to transfer thought to paper, and the distinct creative freedom it offers. I intend to spend my last year building a diverse portfolio and gaining as much writing experience as possible. My interests range from self-care and beauty, to digital marketing. My goal is to one day pursue a career in either copywriting or social media management.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and I hope you have a wonderful day!

Adry