ENGL 301 Introduction

ENGL 301 is an online writing course intended to teach students the basic principles of written and online communication. This includes lessons and assignments on crafting abstracts, proposals, applications, reports, correspondence and other online communication channels. Aside from individual participation and engagement, the course relies on remote communication with its professor, Dr. Erika Patterson. It is also built on teamwork, facilitating an environment of  collaboration and cooperation between classmates. Throughout the course, self-reflections will be expected and assessed to encourage improvement in writing and editing.

Major assignments include: creating an online Web Folio via LinkedIn and a personal WordPress site.

Course Expectations

I’ll admit, I was initially quite hesitant about this course because I’ve never taken one online. Now that I’m enrolled and getting started, I’m really excited! As someone who’s never really taken any business related courses, it seems like ENGL 301 is a great way to learn about professional writing  and for crafting career-related content. I’ve been berating myself for so long to create a LinkedIn profile and personal blog, but I’ve always found reasons not to. I expect ENGL 301 to quite literally force me to create these necessary digital profiles. I also expect to learn how to write in much more poised and eloquent manner, as most of my writing experience is fairly colloquial. I hope to be exposed to more business related content and to expand my writing horizons.

If I’m being honest, I’m a little nervous about collaborating with classmates online. However, I am coming into this course with an open mind! More than anything I hope to work with like-minded individuals who are not only hard-working, but friendly and laidback.

Overall, I think this course is going to be a terrific way to learn about professional writing and putting it into practice, which is what I desperately need!