My Journey from Teacher to Super-Teacher

Research Synopsis – LIBE 477 Reading Review

My research topic began as a look into the transition from the traditional school library model to the library learning commons.  The steps one must take to physically transform the space were quite easy to find as there are several handouts published by governments and organizations across Canada.  While this is also important information, I was more interested in the rationale, objectives and associated pedagogy involved with this transition.  Why do school libraries need to change and how?  Inquiry-based learning, digital literacy, information literacy, lifelong learning and self-directed learning, amongst other things were considered elements of the modern school library, or library learning commons, in much of what I was reading.  The following video (featuring some familiar faces 😉  gives a broad overview of the ideas behind the transition to the library learning commons model.

As one may well imagine, this led to an extensive list of possible sources ranging from academic journal articles to online texts to videos produced by teachers in their own classrooms.  The literature was endless and for the purposes of the first assignment, I decided to choose a resource from each of my key words so as to be able to better decide where I would like to focus my attention going forward.  There was a wealth of information available given the timeliness of my research as schools across the nation are in the midst of the transition from traditional library to library learning commons.

Image result for research process

Source:  www.fupping.com

Research is as much about finding out the right questions to ask as it is about finding the answers.  In learning about the rationale behind the switch to library learning commons, I am discovering that more and more, our libraries are becoming about turning our students into lifelong learners.  Rather than feeding information to our students that they will memorize and regurgitate for a test, we must fuel their curiosity through collaboration, makerspaces, technology, and an inquiry-based approach to learning.  This comes with a lot of responsibility, however.  While it is important to allow students independence and freedom to explore resources and to ask questions, we must also teach them to become information literate.  This means teaching them how to evaluate resources, particularly those we find online, so that they are not just passive consumers of information but are critical thinkers.  This is an incredibly important skill to have both in their school life and beyond.

Bibliography:

Government of Newfoundland and Labrador Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (2018). Extending the Classroom: The Library Learning Commons.  Retrieved from: www.gov.nl.ca/eecd/files/pdf_extending_the_classroom_the_library_learning_commons_june_15_2018.pdf.

British Columbia Teacher Librarians’ Association (2018).  From School Library to Library Learning Commons. Retrieved from: bctladotca.files.wordpress.com/…/from-school-library-to-library-learning-commons.pdf

Edutopia (2019, Sept 19).  Putting Students in Charge of their Learning Journey.  Retrieved from: www.edutopia.org/video/putting-students-charge-their-learning-journey

Petro, Lisa (2017).  How to Put Self-Directed Learning to Work in your Classroom. Retrieved from: www.edutopia.org/discussion/how-put-self-directed-learning-work-your-classroom

Crawford, John C. and Irving, Christine.  Information Literacy and Lifelong Learning.  Woodhead Publishing Ltd, 2013. Retrieved from: http://gw2jh3xr2c.search.serialssolutions.com/?sid=sersol&SS_jc=TC0001140642&title=Information%20Literacy%20and%20Lifelong%20Learning%3A%20Policy%20Issues%2C%20the%20Workplace%2C%20Health%20and%20Public%20Libraries

Ng, Wan. Can We Teach Digital Natives Digital Literacy? Computers and Education, 2012. Retrieved from: www.science-direct.com.ezproxy.library.ubc.ca/science/article/pii/S0360131512001005

*Featured image source: www.forbes.com

« »