Microsoft’s Patents

by AikenLao

Re: Microsoft makes more money from Samsung than from Skype, Windows Phone, and Xbox combined

According to Quartz, Microsoft makes more than 1 billion from Samsung in legal patents for using the Android mobile operating system. Microsoft holds 200 patent families needed to build an Android smartphone, but should companies really be eligible for some of these patents?

Microsoft logo

I previously thought that patents would be related to a new invention, like a special component to an operating system or computer chip. However, from what I’ve read the patents range from how a shop places their tables to the sizing and button placement of smartphones. Although I agree on how a company must place these patents to prevent people from recreating their phone completely, patents like shop layout seem to be going too far. For example, what if Superstore patented the layout of their grocery stores? Could other grocery stores no longer follow the row by row orientation used at Superstore?

Although technology need to make their shop unique to create a stronger and more prominent brand, patenting every single thing to the smallest detail will make it more difficult for other companies to enter the playing field.

Reference:
Chibber, Kabir. “Microsoft Makes More Money from Samsung than from Skype, Windows Phone, and Xbox Combined.” Quartz. N.p., 15 Oct. 2014. Web. 06 Oct. 2014.