Is It Really A Wise Decision To Adopt New Polymer Banknotes in Canada?

One of my classmate Jeffrey’s blog posts about Canada new polymer banknotes strikes my eyes. Basically, he holds positive attitude towards the release of the new $100 bill in a sense that this new bill is secure, durable, innovative and environmentally friendly. Although I agree with him up to a point, I cannot accept his overall conclusion that the new bill should be adopted. Firstly, this high-tech bills cost more to produce. The popularity of the new banknotes cannot be guaranteed after its issue as well because plastic bill is neither easy to fold nor count by hand.

Jeffrey also claims that polymer banknote is cleaner than paper bill since the new one can be recycled. I concede that the new bill contributes to environment to some extent, but the extremely expensive facilities are needed during the recycling process. If Canada fails to develop such high-skilled infrastructure, the plastic bills finally will be burned, which in return pollute the air.

Therefore, when considering this is a high-cost structure, I think the adoption of the new polymer banknotes is not a wise choice for the whole country.