Monthly Archives: October 2013

Watching the weather…

This week I have dedicated my post to an unreliable enemy and a savored friend…the weather. I am going to share briefly with you the devastating events occurring at home in Australia and then bring the weather discussion back to the trading game to see how localized and global weather is affecting futures prices.

Last night, I spoke to Dad back home and heard an update on the bushfire situation (see below) and his general concern about the dry conditions on his crops.  In Australia, we are in the middle of Spring, a traditionally relative warm and wet season in which plants and crops thrive. Spring rain is so important as the might of the long, dry impending Summer bears down. This October, as the fog has shrouded Vancouver for days on end, the weather in my home state has been pretty extreme.  New South Wales (Australia’s most populous state and the state in which our farm is located) had the hottest September on record and days over 30 degrees Celsius in October have not been uncommon. The past few days however have been particularly cold at home bringing with it unseasonablly late frosts. The dry weather combined with this cold snap are very concerning for the current crops.

Most importantly (and tragically), NSW has been recently declared a state of emergency. Bushfires are raging across the state and are extremely widespread.

The one thing I am fortunate for is that the US reporting of the situation is completely misguided… Please note the entire country (including Tasmanian) is not on fire as shown by CNN here.

CNN – Fox2Now St Louis

————————-

Fire (and floods) has been a central part of our national history.  And excerpt from one of our most iconic Australian poems ‘My Country’ by Dorothea MacKellar (written in 1904) describes it well –

I love a sunburnt country,

A land of sweeping plains,

Of ragged mountain ranges,

Of droughts and flooding rains.

I love her far horizons,

I love her jewel-sea,

Her beauty and her terror -

The wide brown land for me!

————————-

Although unpredictable and diverse weather has been part of our national history, there has been increased attention on the rising intensity and increasing frequency of natural disasters due to the effects of climate change. The most recent fires have added fuel (mind the awful pun) to the debate. Tens of thousands of hectares (last report 91,000ha) have been destroyed and more than 70 fires are burning across a 1,600km front.  More than 200 homes have been destroyed, one man has died defending his property and countless animals have perished. It is with sadness to write that between starting this blog and finishing it another man has died whilst fighting the fires when his waterbomber went down.

————————-

It is difficult to turn from this heartbreaking situation to trading, but I know I have to. I will be brief in explaining the current weather predictions, the effects on futures markets and my trading strategy. I am acutely aware that weather is one of a tonne of information inputs affecting the futures price and looking at it in isolation may be redundant, however this week I’m biting off a little in order to walk away from the trading game a little more informed than before. Baby steps, baby steps…

The weather was prominent in futures analysis this week. There was worry that cold and wet weather across the American corn belt would slow down harvest as well as pressure on the Argentinian wheat belt from drought early in the season. Ukraine and Russia had some further rain, which some hoped would improve the seeding pace. As mentioned above, Australia’s fires and winds are causing problems in some of our key wheat-producing areas.

As the week moved on, wet weather delayed Iowa and Illinois corn and soybean harvest, however USDA reports continue to confirm higher than expected crops. Tuesday saw the wheat markets move higher as Argentinian drought news hit the market.

I decided to put my money on some more Wheat futures as I expected that more news would come in during the week about the concern around wheat production due to the Australian drought conditions. Following my prediction, I brought (short) 15 September 2014 wheat futures. I had already bought some of these contracts and had earned some profit however I believe the price will rise further. This was the largest contract I had purchased in terms of quantity, however it was the last week, so why not go for it!

As at Friday 25th October, I finish the trading game in the green and my wheat futures brought this week are marginally higher!

As I close this blog and my experience in the trading game, my thoughts go out to the homeowners, animals, firefighters and volunteers battling the NSW fires. May the weather be on your side.

A change in direction…

This week during a post-exam glass-of-wine downtime Ariel and I started chatting about what parts of the MFRE program we were enjoying, what we weren’t and the gaps we saw currently. It turned out to be a really productive conversation that finished with an idea I want to share here with my classmates.

Our program is intensive and we are learning from some remarkable professors. We are busy learning about pricing models, ways to analyze quantitative data and development projects, as well as how to trade in futures markets.

However something is missing. We felt a gap in our understanding of what was happening in the world now. Being able to be informed enough to ask the right questions is fundamentally important to learning, however I feel a little naïve about current movements in research, debate and policy related to agricultural economics.

So we got thinking….

I mentioned to Ariel that this week I was planning on taking a week off from trading and dedicate my blog to a literature review of a recent journal article related to the futures market and trading more generally.

As I spoke, a light bulb went off in both our heads! That is what we are missing. We are simply not reading enough. We briefly paused and thought to ourselves, ‘How the hell am I going to fit time for this into my current schedule?’ Such notions were quickly pushed aside as we realized the huge opportunity we had to gain by simply reading more, understanding the research that was being performed and critiquing what was out there.

So we are setting up a “Reading Group”, that will be trial based for the remainder of Term 1 with hopes of cementing something more formal in Term 2. We hope to invite Professors to share their work with us (I’m looking at you Sumeet) as well as help us to guide us in our reading. In time, we hope to squeeze a little bit of funding from LFS (I’m looking at you Pradip!) to enable us to have coffee and baked goods to aid the discussion! It won’t be compulsory, graded, or intimidating, but it will be exciting, full of learning and hopefully insightful!

Our idea has already been activated by Ariel looking at the seminal ‘How to Understand High Food Prices’ by Christopher L. Gilbert, which appeared in the Journal of Agricultural Economics. We felt it was a good starting base and related to our 501 trading exercise as well as the theoretical content. Hopefully it will wet enough appetites to garner some interest!

In the lab on Tuesday I hope to introduce our idea as well as briefly look at a current journal article. Watch this space because I am still deciding!!

All creatures great and small

Over the weekend, I was lucky enough to venture outside of Vancouver for the first time since arriving in the Northern Hemisphere. My darling best friend was visiting from Chicago (where she has recently relocated with her husband) and we went on a few adventures! Whilst feeling blessed that the Vancouver sun was shining, we discovered Squamish, rode horses by rivers and through forests, biked around Stanley Park, enjoyed great coffee, aquarium-visited, Wreck-beached and ate a ton of sushi. It made for a memorable and breathtaking weekend and I definitely fell in love with BC a little bit more!

Riding in Squamish

Alice Lake, a Beluga whale and a parrot (breed unknown!)

After taking my mini-break, I felt overwhelmed with the amount to achieve this week. However, I hoped to attempt to implement some of the technical analysis that was shared with us in our trading lab (plus a few other ‘shapes’ I discovered on my own).

—————————————–

To this point, I had primarily based my trading strategy on external information and broader market movements. My aim was to focus upon Live Cattle futures (which I dove into last week for the first time), try and see some trends or signs in the closest futures contract (Oct 2013), and attempt to make some quick profits! It was a little quick and dirty due to time constraints, but hoping the some of the analysis is technically correct!!

This guy’s strategy is a little more fine-tuned than mine!

—————————————–

The graph below shows the daily movement for the October Live Cattle Futures contracts since July. I found three trends to focus my trading decision on this week: the rising wedge, the cup and handle and the ascending triangle. 

——————————-

#1 The Rising Wedge

One ‘shape’ I discovered was the rising wedge from the middle of September to the beginning of October. As seen above, the trendlines are both slanted in an upwards direction and are converging. This wedge is seen to have a bearish pattern and signals that the future is possibly going to head downwards. Research has told me that as the price moves towards the apex of the pattern, the momentum is weakening and a move below the lower trendline is often viewed as a reversal in the upward trend. At the end of September, this happened, with the contract price dropping. Another example of this pattern is seen below.

#2 The Cup and Handle

The second shape was a little more adventurous and  had several components to it that needed to seen in a particular order on order evaluate what the potential signal may be.

Firstly, there should be an upward trend before the formation of the cup. Check. The cup should be nicely rounded, similar to a semi-circle. Mmm, kinda (the reason for this roundedness is that it is a signal of consolidation within a trend – weaker investors start to leave the market and new buyers and more resolute investors stay with the futures contract).

The height of the cup is also important. A traditional pattern should be between 1/3 – 2/3 the size of the previous upward movement. Yep, I can see that has happened in the case of the Oct contract. The height of the cup can also be used as an initial price target when the patten completes by breaking the handle. Lastly, the handle. It completes the pattern and refers to the downward move after the upwards trend on the right side of the cup. The general rule is that the handle retrace’s approximately 1/3 of the gain made in the cup. Most of these signs seemed to have held in the case of the Oct futures contract.

#3 The Ascending Triangle 

Although the first two patterns were interesting to discover, I was looking for something to base this week’s trade on. I found it in the ascending triangle that looked to have developed from the beginning of October. Although, it was not as strong a pattern as the one below, I was going to run with it!

This bullish chart pattern is generally considered to be one that is to continue upwards. It is found within a period of consolidation of an upward trend and once the straight trendline meets the upward one, traders generally enter into long positions. The most common price target to aim for is set equal to the entry price plus the vertical height of the triangle. I decided to buy 6 long contracts on Tuesday morning, hoping for a rise the size of my triangle height!

—————————————–

So far, my ‘analysis’ has paid off and my Oct Live Cattle contracts are up 0.64%. In other news, I shorted 8 Nov Soybeans contracts on the same day (Tuesday morning). Soybean prices had risen on Monday, but I believed this increase would reverse as I predicted solid news to come in about the harvest underway. At the end of the trading week, Nov futures had cemented below its 100-day moving average at $12.865. I was now a richer woman, having made over $14,000 on these contracts!

My portfolio summary as at the 11th of October

—————————————–

In the vein of my blog title, I wanted to end by sharing a little story I heard at the Vancouver aquarium last weekend that was perhaps the most sweet I have ever heard.

Otters hold hands whilst sleeping to stop them drifting apart whilst in slumber. I have known this fact for a while and definitely didn’t need anymore convincing that they were amongst my most favourite of animals. But they were about to get a whole lot cuter!

The trainer at the aquarium told us that a mother otter always keeps her baby on her belly to keep it safe. Before falling asleep she would get some seaweed (kelp) and tie it around herself and then around the baby to create a ‘seaweed seatbelt’ so her baby would never fall off while she rested! I think this is the most adorable story and just had to share that!!!

—————————————–

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

The following sites helped me perform the analysis above:

Investopedia

Trading Charts

Just an udder trading week….

On Mark’s encouragement, I decided to venture into livestock futures this week. I chose to focus my attention on live cattle futures in the first instance due to interest and background (and so as not to completely overwhelm myself!). On our farm, “Koombahla” in Australia, we run Angus cattle and also a small contingent of Herefords (as part of Mum’s ‘Burra Hereford’ stud, which my late maternal grandfather established in 1929).

My aim this week was to understand the trading of live cattle, past trends, the types of information that affected prices, relationships between other future commodities, and hopefully during all this, make a purchase! I hope the readers learn a little along with me!

Some of our Angus heifer’s relaxing out of the hot Summer sun…

But would probably rather be here…

————————–

So, what did I learn about live cattle futures?

1.   Contract specifications are a little different than other commodities

Live Cattle futures are delivered every year in February, April, June, August, October, and December. The unit of trading is 40,000 pounds (18 metric tonnes) and is comprised of 55% Choice, 45% Select grade live steers (as defined by the USDA). These quality grades help to determine the difference between cuts of meat. A quality grade, according to the USDA is an evaluation of characteristics  that affect palatability of meat, such as the age of carcass, texture, and the amount of marbling. USDA Choice beef is the second highest grade on the scale, after Prime, and Select beef is the lowest grade of beef that you will find at a grocery store or restaurant.

2.   Corn is an important determinant in the price of live cattle

Cattle are usually fed corn, milo (also known as grain sorghum) and sometimes wheat. The protein part of their diet usually comes from soybeans. If corn gets cheaper, livestock producers might be prompted to feed more cattle to nourish them to gain weight. However, if feed is too costly, cattle may also be sent to market earlier and at lower weights. This may have a downward effect on the price of cattle futures.

3.   Like all futures trading, it is a risky business, that is affected by a number of supply and demand factors

Very hot weather can result in cattle not gaining normal weight as they tend to eat smaller amounts. It can also result in loss of calves and yearlings. Conversely, very cold weather causes stress in cattle and excess burning of energy to stay warm. Less weight = less meat.

Disease can also have a major effect. Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (more commonly, ‘Mad Cow Disease’), has affected live cattle prices in the past due to the significant public health concern that arises when news of the disease becomes known.

Additionally, general economic conditions, seasonality (BBQ’s in summer) and changing consumer incomes (lower purchasing power may lead to substitution to cheaper protein sources) can have a direct impact on the demand for beef and the price of cattle.

4.   The report to read for cattle futures is the The Cattle on Feed Report

The USDA Report contains monthly total number of cattle, calves on feed (amount of cattle placed on feedlot), placements, and marketings. It is usually a big market mover, however is not available again until October 18 (hopefully the US Gov’t will be back online by then!)

Get your act together please!

————————–

So I decided to take the plunge and put my limited knowledge into action…

It was a strange week for trading on the back of the Grains Report and US Government shutdown early in the week.

Following the USDA Report and the bearish stocks data, both soybeans and corn futures fell.  Cattle futures were also down 27-32 cents on Monday. Mixed messages were coming from the Government shut down, with many of the losses that occurred before the closure being recovered. The lack of price data coming through kept everything pretty on edge.

Unable to make any solid decisions, I decided to work with what I had. Corn and soy futures prices had been dropping since I entered the traded game. This may preclude increased purchase by farmers to feed their cattle, increasing their weight and value. I decided not to focus on October futures, which may be too close to feel the effects of cheaper feed. I looked to short Dec 2013 and Feb 2014 Live Cattle Futures in the hope that cheaper soy and corn in Dec and Nov may have an effect on live cattle in feedlots.

As I am writing this, I have just realized I made a little mistake in my purchases; rather than shorting both, I accidentally bought long on the Dec contract 🙁 At this stage, my shorted contract is in the green and the mistake contract is the red… DAMN!!! Mmm, maybe the error will pay off in the long run and I will net off any losses made.

Anyway, this little play in live cattle will prove or disprove itself over the next month/s, not immediately, so I will hold on! In other news, both my shorted corn and long wheat are still trucking along nicely!

Feb 2014 Live Cattle – hoping these guys have hit their peak and will drop with cheaper feed contracts closing soon

My open positions as at 2 Oct 2014

Dorothy wishes you all a fabulous weekend!