COMM 296, Blog 6: Reflection

I still can remember those feelings of nervousness and being scared by the two words from Elaine, “group project,” during the first week of class!

I was put into the same group with Michelle, Anita, Steve and Gianluca. Because I didn’t know any of them before, the project gave me an opportunity to make more friends. As a group, we chose to research and analyze Target Corporation because of how the company is widely recognized by the consumers in North America.

As the project divided into three separate parts, this allowed my group to be more focused and stayed on track, as well as lighten up the workload. With the video assignment in part three, it differentiated this course from the other courses. It was the new learning experience for my group. We could be more creative and play around with our ideas. I like how the video assignment allowed my group to be graded fairly based on our work and the effort we put in, not how well we speak in front of the class.

I feel the project is one of the best things in the course. It was the first time that I didn’t have to finish a textbook and sit for a midterm/final.The project also allowed me to integrate what I learned in class and the real world situation. Because of it, I got to deeply look into the business strategies, and learned how a big company like Target is competing in the real world.

Lastly, Thank you Elaine for being so inspiring and showing me that we can be successful and be kind to others at the same time. I always admire you as you are successful and still work for NGOs. (: