Dominos!

Reading Eliza Lee’s entry on virtual grocery stores (https://blogs.ubc.ca/elizalee/2011/09/17/hello-world/) made me look up some other successful marketing campaigns on the internet.

It seems that there are an increasing amount of such “marketing success stories” on Youtube to show that businesses are listening to their harshest critics (via focus groups, surveys, etc.) and acting on the criticism to better their product/service.

I had personally stopped ordering from Dominos in early-2008 – a year before this campaign was released on Youtube – simply because (like many of the interviewed), I began to relate their pizza just a cheap, poor-quality pizza compared to other brands like Flying Wedge and Panago. I shared the opinions of many who said that “the crust tastes like cardboard” and “mass produced, boring and bland”.

This campaign though, has given me a little to think about, especially after much-maligned consumers were impressed at how (though they might only have said that because the Domino’s crew was around pointing cameras at them!) the pizza was “way better”.

It did attract quite a handful of viewers – close to 900,000. Sure, it didn’t go as viral as other advertisements like Old Spice’s and Nike’s World Cup 2010, but after watching the entire 4:21 of it, I may just consider dialing Dominos the next time I pick up the phone for pizza.

1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

One Response to Dominos!

1. Awesome job elaborating on your classmate’s blog post, and incorporating your own opinions and an interesting video too