Unit 1 Reflection

In the reading; Introduction; ” Indigenous and Decolonizing Studies in Education: Mapping the Long View by Linda Tuhiwai Smith, Eve Tuck, and K. Wayne Yang I have encountered many points that I have discussed in my previous class that I took, SOCI 360 Sociology and Natural Resources. Both have mentioned the consequences of the underlying systematic oppression of Western research and how it refuses to abide by Indigenous sovereignty and self-determination.

The Western capitalist system highly encourages self-profits over the wellness of the overall community and the earth. This leads us to the tragedy of the commons in which everyone over-uses the land and its resources irresponsibly depleting resources and polluting the environment. In order to avoid this, we clearly need to embrace the Indigenous Research which has been able to use all land resources responsibly so the resources were able to regenerate themselves before facing depletion and extinction. “Relationality” (9) an important element of Indigenous Research enables Indigenous people to consider their relationship with further generations and with the land.

Despite its sustainable practices, there are many scholars that try to correct Indigenous Research because it is seen as inadequate and hostile (Smith 6). However, today there is an increasing number of Indigenous scholars in research programs. This might be attributed to climate change and other environmental crises that have not been able to resolve with Western research. Personally, I am a bit shocked how late the settler colonials decided to give higher importance to Indigenous Knowledge Systems and Research after witnessing how the growing technology is incapable of alleviating the consequences of industrialization and globalization. Logically, the Indigenous Research, that has been acquired for thousands of years with first-hand experience and a holistic world-view in contrast to the Western research that is required in a short term with a reductionist approach, should be given higher significance.

Also, Smith mentions (7) that Indigenous people speaking for themselves is one of the most critical parts of decolonization. As I learned in my SOCI 310 Canadian Society class, being able to represent ourselves and express our own opinions and not be expressed from other perspectives is decolonizing. This reading explains how before Indigenous conferences only consisted of white scholars describing Indigenous Knowledge and Research and that, today an increasing number of Indigenous scholars speak up for themselves and describe Indigenous Knowledge from their own perspectives. This could indicate a significant step towards decolonizing Indigenous minds.

1 thought on “Unit 1 Reflection

1. Emma Wong

Hello Alara. I agree with your thoughts on the Western capitalist system and the importance of Indigenous Research. As society has evolved, people have begun to prioritize convenience, even at the expense of the environment and of others. As a result of this greed, the environment has suffered greatly. I, too, think that Indigenous Research has begun to prosper because of these difficult times. I think that it is important for us to welcome the ideas of other cultures and groups as it is in all of our best interests.