Assignment 3.3 – Unit Three Reflections Blog

by alethea kramer

Writing the formal report draft was an enlightening experience as it shed light on the challenges and opportunities associated with remote work, specifically in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic. It was interesting to delve into the impact of remote work on workplace culture, and how the lack of spontaneous or casual interactions among team members can affect the dynamics of a remote-based workforce. Through conducting surveys and reviewing scholarly articles, I gained insights into the importance of cultivating connections and encouraging spontaneous interactions to foster a positive workplace culture, even in a remote setting. I learned valuable skills in theorizing a topic worth of study and designing data collection techniques for examining a topic. For example, I received feedback from multiple participants that they would have preferred to have the option to submit that they prefer zero days of in-person work rather than a selection from one to five. I realized I had made an oversight in terms of designing my survey and learned a valuable lesson on imagining the needs of the respondent.

Peer reviewing Byung-Sun’s report was a valuable experience as it allowed me to compare writing styles and techniques with another researcher’s perspective. It was interesting to note the similarities and differences in our approaches and conclusions. Reviewing the data section and scholarly article review of the peer’s report helped me gain a deeper understanding of the research methodology and the relevance of the scholarly articles cited. It also provided an opportunity to critically analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the report, and offer constructive feedback to improve the overall quality and impact of the research. For example, I noticed that something as small as the text in their graphic being too small created an accessibility issue. This gave me more information and perspective with which to analyze my own work.

Overall, writing and peer reviewing this report on remote work and workplace culture was a thought-provoking experience that expanded my knowledge on the subject matter. It emphasized the significance of spontaneous and casual interactions in fostering a positive and collaborative work environment, even in a remote setting. It also highlighted the importance of using digital tools effectively to facilitate such interactions and improve team dynamics.

First Draft