Final Self Assessment Reflection

by alethea kramer

Throughout my technical writing course, I have learned invaluable skills that have greatly improved my writing abilities, collaboration with my writing team, online proficiency, and adherence to specific instructions. However, I have also faced challenges such as meeting deadlines, learning new writing techniques, editing, and peer reviewing, all while following precise instructions. Despite these challenges, I found the course enjoyable as I got to know my classmates, familiarized myself with a new platform, and experimented with different writing styles. Moving forward, I plan to apply what I have learned in various aspects of my life, such as job hunting, team communication, and formal writing with a “YOU-attitude.”

One of the most significant takeaways from the course is the improvement in my writing skills. Through practice, feedback from my instructor, and peer review sessions, I have honed my ability to convey complex technical information in a clear and concise manner. I learned the importance of tailoring my writing to the needs of the audience, utilizing appropriate tone, and incorporating visual elements to enhance readability. Additionally, I have gained a better understanding of the importance of grammar, punctuation, and formatting in technical writing, which has significantly elevated the quality of my work.

Working with my writing team has also been a valuable learning experience. Collaborating with fellow students from diverse backgrounds and skill levels has taught me the importance of effective communication, coordination, and delegation. I have learned how to work harmoniously within a team, respect differing opinions, and leverage individual strengths to produce high-quality documents. The ability to provide constructive feedback to my peers and receive feedback graciously has also been a valuable skill that I will carry forward in future collaborative projects.

The course has also enhanced my online skills, as it was conducted in a virtual environment. I have become proficient in utilizing various digital tools and platforms for document sharing, editing, and communication. I have learned how to manage online documents efficiently, navigate virtual classrooms, and engage in online discussions effectively. These skills are vital in today’s digital age, and I am confident that they will serve me well in my future endeavours.

However, there were challenges in the course as well. Meeting deadlines was particularly demanding, as assignments often had strict submission timelines. Balancing coursework with other commitments required effective time management and organizational skills. Learning new writing techniques, such as writing abstracts, executive summaries, and proposals, required additional effort and practice to grasp fully. Editing and peer reviewing, while beneficial, could also be time-consuming and required attention to detail. Additionally, following specific instructions, such as adhering to style guides or word limits, proved to be challenging at times.

Despite the challenges, I thoroughly enjoyed the course. Getting to know my classmates through discussions and group activities fostered a sense of community and mutual support. Exploring and becoming proficient in a new platform for document collaboration and editing was a rewarding experience that expanded my technological skill set. Experimenting with different writing styles, such as persuasive, instructional, and informative, allowed me to broaden my writing repertoire and provided a creative outlet.

Moving forward, I plan to apply what I have learned from this course in various aspects of my life. When looking for a job, I will be able to showcase my technical writing skills, including my ability to write clear and concise documents tailored to specific audiences. In my professional career, I will apply effective team communication and collaboration skills to work seamlessly with colleagues on projects. Additionally, I will use the online skills I have developed to navigate virtual work environments and collaborate with remote team members effectively. Furthermore, the importance of following specific instructions in technical writing will guide me in producing high-quality and compliant documents in my future endeavours.

Overall, the technical writing course has been a valuable learning experience that has enhanced my writing skills, improved my ability to work.