1. I complete a self-assessment of my language proficiencies for my first language, French, and any additional languages I’ve experienced using the Common Framework of Reference.

screen-shot-2016-09-21-at-7-49-40-pm

2. I clearly describe my language learning path including insights and milestones as well as personal strengths and challenges.

french-journey

Milestones: visiting the South of France as a child, going to Paris as an adult, doing well in AP French.

Challenges: Being put in French immersion and struggling, getting in trouble for not knowing the right answers, counting & mathematics in French, unkind French teachers, taking university level French and not doing as well as I had wanted to.

japanese-journey

Milestones: learning to write my name, being included in socials with the non-English speaking teachers, learning by listening and repeating everything, making speeches entirely in Japanese when I left.

Challenges: struggling to read ingredients in the grocery store, being lost and needing to ask for help, having to go to the doctor and not being able to communicate, being frustrated and confused, moving back to Vancouver and wondering how to maintain my Japanese.

3. I include 3-5 artifacts that represent my experience/contact with other languages and cultures and describe their meaning in detail.

img_3411
My father is French-Canada originally from Drummondville and Repentigny. He has always been proud of his heritage, as am I. We were some of the first French people to immigrate to Canada in the 1640s.

img_3402
My brother and I experienced a lot of unique language journeys together. Moving to Germany when we both very young, being put in French Immersion in elementary school and both taking French in university. My brother went to McGill & spent a semester in Lyon so he had a huge advantage and I’m jealous that his French is now so much better than mine.

img_7522
I was lucky enough to live and teach with the JET Programme in rural Japan for two years. I worked at two prefectural high schools in Maizuru, Kyoto. Summer festivals are big events in Japan and this photo was taken with two of my co-workers. They invited me to dress up in the traditional summer yukata.

img_3403
During my time working in Japan I helped coach the girl’s high school softball team. Because the students and other two coaches could not speak much (or really any!) English, I was pushed to improve my Japanese. My communication skills improved enormously – when you can’t speak the same language a warm smile, positive attitude and lots of acting can make a huge difference. This gloves has my name embroidered on it and was a leaving gift I was given – every time I wear it it brings back such happy memories.