Entry #4

Teacher Inquiry: BCTF Program for Quality Teaching

The BCTF Teacher Inquiry Program allows teachers to ‘take responsibility’ for their own practice. The information on the website presented some interesting points about teacher-led inquiry, a practice that I honestly had no idea existed before starting my B. Ed six weeks ago. Some of the ideas I connected with the most were the following:

• ‘Teaching and learning are complex processes that address complex issues’ I think this statement sums up why teacher inquiry is so important. The complexity of the job and the responsibility to children necessitates constant reflection from the teacher. We always need to think about why we use the practices, curriculums, texts, etc that we do and wether they are engaging and relevant.
  • ‘Change can be scary. Supported change is exciting.’ In my opinion, this may be why some educators are ‘stuck’ in a teaching rut. I think everyone has a memory of a teacher that used the same materials year after year. Its easy and safe to keep doing the same thing, no matter what job you do in society. However change is vital to maintain relevancy and though its initially uncomfortable, in the long run the effects will be positive (if the change is for good).
  • ‘It taps into teachers’ lived experience’ I am intrigued by this statement!! It makes the whole project seem a lot more personal and driven towards helping teachers.

(http://www.bctf.ca/uploadedFiles/Public/ProD/TeacherInquiry.pdf)

Horwood –  An analysis of Nechako Elementary School’s pink slip discipline referral program 1998–2001

Reading Dennis Horwood’s research into Nechako Elementary School’s pink slip program made me think about all the ways in which educators can reflect on their practice actively and analytically. It would be interesting to see how effective the ‘caught being good’ board it. I really loved this idea – using carrots alongside sticks.