1. Making nature Mandelas. Our development and diversity class this week focused on mental health. One of the activities we did was making a nature Mandela. We were given a variety of leaves, twigs, berries, flowers, moss, etc to make our own creation. It was very stimulating for my tactile and visual senses!
  2. A new way of writing. This week at my practicum I got to do a lesson on the book ‘The Day the Crayons Quit’. After reading it the students got to write their own letters to Duncan from the point of view of the crayons. They used punctuation, drawings and fonts to demonstrate their emotions – so many creative responses!
  3. A classical music session during my practicum. Everyday after lunch they broadcast a different classical song over the intercom. During this time the students in my class have free reading time, so they can relax and get refocused for the afternoon. This week’s tune was an American classic – Aaron Copland’s Hoedown (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsReWx9XdNs). I could hardly resist getting up to dance!

nature-mandela-1