Music is My Therapy

Music is huge a part of my life. For every mood and emotion I feel I have certain music I like to listen to. Music is like therapy for me; it has the ability change my mood completely just by listening to one or two songs. I chose to do a playlist to represent my first term at UBC. The reason I chose a playlist is because through the ups and downs that I have experienced here so far, I have always been listening to music while going through it. This playlist includes songs that represent every feeling that I have gone through while being at UBC. Creating this playlist was actually an emotional experience for me because I would think of when I was really homesick or feeling lonely and it would bring back all those emotions again. However, in the end, creating this playlist made me realize the amazing memories and friends I have made while being here. The songs “Closer”, “Don’t Let me Down” and “Cold Water” represent my first week of university. It represents a time before I started missing my family and before school work started getting very overwhelming. It was a time when I felt was happiness and excitement for all the new experiences I was going through. Once the excitement settled and school work started to pick up is when the homesickness started to kick in. I usually go through two stages of being homesick: the first stage is when I am purely sad and all I can think about is how I wish I was at home, and the second stage is when I am still sad but I am also happy because I am looking through photos of my family, and thinking about all of our crazy memories. For the first stage, I listen to pretty sad songs which is what “To Build a Home”, “Breathe Me” and “All I want” represents on my playlist. For the second stage, I like to listen to songs that my family listens to or songs that remind me of them, and that’s what “Banana Pancakes”, “Better Together” and “Need The Sun To Break” represent on my playlist. The rest of the songs on the playlist are ones that I listen to on a daily basis. They are the songs that I listen to when I am studying or relaxing, and I chose them because they never fail to put me in a better mood. The songs on this playlist truly represent me and my first term at UBC.

Playlist: “To Build a Home” by Cinematic Orchestra, “Banana Pancakes” and “Better Together” by Jack Johnson, “Need The Sun To Break” and “Hold Back The River” by James Bay, “Closer” and “Don’t Let me Down” by The Chainsmokers, “Riptide”, “Mess is Mine”, “First Time” and “Georgia” by Vance Joy, “Cold Water” by Major Lazer, “Breathe Me” by Sia, “All I want” by Kodaline, “Ophelia” by The Lumineers, “My Way” Calvin Harris, “2 Heads” Coleman Hell.

Here is a link to the playlist on Spotify