Sad and Frightening

The blog post “I am not your wife, Sister, or Daughter” brings to light a number of overlooked issues I find rather fascinating. Initially, the writer discusses rape-related subjects such as people’s reactions; Specifically those from the Steubenville rape case that occurred a few years ago. What I found to be quite surprising, as well as totally revolting, was that there are people whose reaction to rape victims stray from what I would consider logical and instead take an unexpected approach— Academic or athletic standings excuses the severity of rape. People are defending the rapist by stating that their performances academically and/or athletically could only lead to the conclusion that they are not horrible people and therefore deserve a lesser charge. For rape… This is utterly shocking to me. I have often seen studies based off of murders in the US in comparison to the population which somehow results in the fact that: in a lifetime you will have passed anywhere from 15-25 murders on the street. Whether this is factual or not it still supports my point. If I am walking past a murder on the road, by appearance they are a good person. This does not excuse the fact that they are a murder. This same logic can be said for these young people who are being convicted of rape. Simply because in the classroom or on the sports field the accused appears to be a good person, does not excuse them from being a rapist. Being a University student allows me to relate to this topic in a much more real fashion than I would like to. Walking around campus means seeing many “concert” posters and signs that scream ani-rape. The fact that these are needed is a misunderstood problem and relates back to the blog when the writer talks about the wife, sister, and daughter quote. Within the blog, it is stated that it is unnecessary to view the victim as family because it is still rape. It is not a matter of sympathizing differently from a stranger to your sister. Regardless it should be such a matter of common sense that no analogy should be required. When I think of this I think of the signage around campus because I think it is sad and frightening that the fact that signs need to be hung means people truly don’t get it. I think it is sad and frightening that people need the reminder. I think it is sad and frightening that people around the world are still being raped and our response is signs and analogies.

Work Cited:

Belle, Jar. “I Am Not Your Wife, Sister or Daughter.” The Belle Jar. N.p., 20 May 2014. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.