Who would you trust more; your boss or a total stranger?

Lead With Your Heart, Not Just Your Head

As my first response to an external blog, I chose to respond to Harvard Business Review writers Naomi Eisenberger and George Kohlrieser on how managers should focus less on leading with the stubbornness of authority, and with more caring for their employees.

According to Eisenberger and Kohlrieser, it is important for personnel with managerial positions to exercise the power of personal leadership when interacting with their employees.

I agree, in such that regardless if the company stresses their resources, and time into maximizing profits, it doesn’t make establishing personal connections and trusting relationships with employes any less imperative. I believe that “feeling connected is intrinsically rewarding to the brain” because having a social attachment with fellow employees helps to give way to better, more effective communication, employee respect, and less stressful work environment.

Personally, having worked a part-time job at Tim Horton’s my manager made an effort to be super friendly and communicative with all employees about more than just work related topics, but rather interests, and future plans. She managed to make those social connections with her employees, including myself, while maintaining an authoritative image. She was someone everyone respected.

I was very lucky to have such a positive experience with my boss as my first job, however I know now from Eisenberger and Kohlrieser’s blog that the preferred persona of many managerial figures is that of strict enforcement. See through their management by objectives and metrics to monitor performance, and their historic view that bonding with your team members will be seen as a distraction at best or weakness at worst.

Personally, I would rather trust my boss than a total stranger.